Author Topic: What a scorcher #2 - Pitch pine pot  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
What a scorcher #2 - Pitch pine pot
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
The second scorched piece this week.....It started life in 1839 as a structural beam in the local workhouse, built as a result of the Poor Law. The building is currently being converted into apartments, which involved the removal of a section of beam, which I managed to acquire. The bulk of it went into making a big table lamp, which has just been bought by a lady who is paying an extra £30 to send it home to Australia. This bit was cut off the end because there were too many splits in it, but I wanted to use it for something, and splits & scorching go so well together. The grain of pitch pine responds really well to scorching, developing a very deep texture. No lime wax in this as the grain is not open enough to receive it, just sanding sealer and microcrystaline wax.
10.5cm high x 12.5cm diameter.
C&C always welcome.

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: What a scorcher #2 - Pitch pine pot
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »
Hope the lamp gets home Les, I have stopped sending stuff there as they are incredibly strict on letting anything wood into the country. You should put a bit about the history of the wood with the bowl as provenance can be a big help selling.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:11:06 PM »
Les,

truthfully I was not sure when I first saw this, but the photo showing the depth of the scorching, revealing a very tactile bowl won me over.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
Yes, Pete is quite correct to be concerned.
I had a customer who posted a piece to Australia which the customs people "butchered". A deep bowl became a shallow one with a rough sawn edge.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
I appreciate your concerns, but my customer is well aware of the restrictions. I have been paid up front for the lamp and for the freight, and for the cost of insurance.....the shipment is entirely at the customer's risk.

I have written an extensive note, with photos, about the provenance of the timber and about the precautions that I have taken to ensure that there isn't any worm in it.
Les
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:54:52 PM by Les Symonds »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.