Author Topic: Pollard Knuckle  (Read 4000 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Pollard Knuckle
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »
A lovely piece of work and good to be taken through the process of getting there. I like the way the shape has been derived after careful consideration of the inital "blank". Seeing through a piece adds extra dimension to a form. I do a lot of hand sanding after a green turned piece has dried, that way I feel I have better control of the outcome and it keeps the fingers intact ! Maybe your piece of plane was from a relatively young tree ? In the past I have turned such timber and the colour has been very light. I found it quite unstable and got lots of movement as it dried. I also acquired a piece from the heart of a 1.5M diameter bole and that was very dark and with plenty of lacewood figure on the quarter.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
Thank you gents,

Pete, the number of Pollarded trees I see, these cannot be rare, I look forward to you getting your hands on one and showing what you can do, you are after-all the master of this type of turning.

Les,

It's nice to have a little time to spend playing, most of my work of late has been standard production work. Well, after breaking my thumb just before Christmas and not being able to hold a tool for a couple of months.

You had me there, I went back and looked, Dalek, I thought it was a mouse!

John,

The branch the knuckle came off was about 5" diameter, no idea about the tree, could have been very old but a younger branch. And not sure there would be much quarter wood in a knuckle to show the lace patterning anyway, but thank you, I'm glad you like the story and finished piece.

Maybe I'll visit my friend and see if hes not yet chopped all the tree up and see if there is something more I can steal beg or otherwise acquire!

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
In the third picture of the top views, I see (from l to r) an angel, a man playing a double bass and a Dalek....how strange!
Les

More of Brian's reflections Les?

I love this sort of turning Dragonfly and this piece is no exception. 
Its always interesting to see how timber moves and what variation to the final shape you end up with. It adds character and interest to the work; perfection is boring.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »

I love this sort of turning Dragonfly and this piece is no exception. 
Its always interesting to see how timber moves and what variation to the final shape you end up with. It adds character and interest to the work; perfection is boring.

Tony
[/quote]
By its very being, woodturning imposes a circular geometry onto any thing we make. Mother Nature then says, "up yours", and takes it back for herself....and long may it continue !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.