Author Topic: Unknown Aquamarine wood Open form  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Unknown Aquamarine wood Open form
« on: June 29, 2018, 07:53:21 PM »
Well I was given a piece of wood, with Acacia written on it. Nope GBF & I agree it's not Acacia. He thinks it's Macrocarpa, I think it's Cherry, but who cares, it's a not bad looking piece, even if it never came out as expected.

Dimensions are about 5mm thick, 160mm dia x 100mm high.

The finish is Chestnut Royal Blue spirit stain (yes I did write royal blue) so no idea how it ended up as Aquamarine. Danish oil rubbed on morning & night for a couple of weeks and then allowed to polymerise before being buffed and waxed.

And I'm even clearer in this one!

C&C as you will and thanks for looking.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Unknown Aquamarine wood Open form
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
Very nice indeed I like the shape and colour. And yes I do believe it when you say that it was blue, three or four year ago I had a piece of cherry and also put on Chestnut royal blue and it ended up green my wood was definitely cherry so that falls in with what you think your is

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
Brayan who cares what the wood is when it ends up looking like this? A stunner! I do have a question though, it appears that there is a demarcation line halfway down between the really shiny and a flat looking finish is this so or is it the photo?If it is so I would be interested in how you achieved this. All in all I think it is a job well done.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »
Derek,

Thank you, the honey colour of the wood and the wide growth rings make me thing it's cherry, or one of the cherries anyway.

John,

Thank you, I'm getting better at these forms (slowly), but it is the ceramic/glass effect I have really mastered and want to portray in these pieces.

You had me there for a moment, I had not noticed any demarcation line, certainly not when colouring it and not when looking at it. but yes, you can see it in the photos. I know the effect but it took some work digging through my strange collection of books to find out it's called a 'cylindrical anamorphosis effect'. What you can see is the round edge of the table the form was sat on, it follows the curve but if you look again, it curls up and over itself at the extremes of each side.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
What a cracking colour....I will definitely not be showing this to my SWMBO....I have enough to do as it is.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »
Well if its Macrocarpa I dont blame you for adding some colour. The form is spot on, gets my vote.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Macrocarpa would be a lot softer than cherry wouldn't it? Also wouldn't take the colour as well as this has. Like the 'glass' effect. As long as it doesn't end up looking like 6 layers of yacht varnish LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »
Thank you Gent's.

I'm quite sure it's a hard wood but only assume it's cherry, not shown so well in the photos are the end grains sides, the colour is much darker there but still more green than blue.

Pete,

I've done several of these over the last 10+ years, and know the owner of the first one I ever made, 10 years on it's still looks great. The way I've learnt to apply the oil, many very thing coats, seems to give it a glow without it looking plasticy.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 10:10:10 PM »
Sorry, didn't phrae that well Bryan. meant that I like the glass like finish but not when it is taken to an extreme as some do. Personal taste again and doesn't apply here anyway LOL.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities