Author Topic: Western Hemlock  (Read 1776 times)

Offline yashin57

• iron
Western Hemlock
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »
I've been asked to turn some items from Western Hemlock. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be suitable for and can anyone give me any info about its characteristics?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Western Hemlock
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »
We used to use Hemlock in stair construction, mainly for newel posts.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
It's a softwood, growing to substantial sizes with no branches on the lowest 30-40m, therefore making it an ideal tree for softwood lumber. Typical uses would include all sorts of wooden construction material, including staircase spindles, newel posts, finials and the likes.
You're not saying what you have been asked to make from it. Although you can in theory make anything from this material, bowls would not be recommended as they will easily dent (same goes for other treen). For spindle work, you should turn this at high speed, with very sharp tools, and if you are a skew master, you will get a very good surface out of it. Watch out for knots: whilst they are a nuisance at the best of times, in softwood they are positively a pain in the backside.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
Another important consideration is the size of the timber stock that you've got. There is Hemlock growing in my neck of the woods (North Wales) and it's available in small sections, so once again, suited to spindle work. I have used some to make an attractive table-lamp.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:36:11 PM »

http://www.wood-database.com/western-hemlock/  You'll find this a go too for must all you're timber searches.

As a pine, Candlesticks ... but read through the past post on here regarding safety issues and wherefore on holders/inserts etc.

Lamps you get into wiring/testing issues if making for others or to sell, (less being an Electrician) even personally somewhere down the line it can get passed to someone else, at that point it could be a hazard.

Something on a smaller note.. pine Apples go down a treat .. no pun ...  ::)
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''