Author Topic: off centre platter  (Read 2659 times)

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
off centre platter
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »
Morning all
A piece I am currently working on, the wood is sycamore and the size is 17" x 1 1/2", coloured with Hampshire sheens intrinsic colours, a bit of gilt cream in the middle and lacquered. As you can see its still on the lathe as I need to finish the back yet. As usual c&c welcome.

All the best

Andy

regards
Andy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: off centre platter
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »
Like this a lot. You see scores of these off centred turnings but this one is different with the design in the central ring making it less symetrical. Good to see something a bit different. A little reminiscent of Douglas fishers work.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
Nice bit of turning Andy, I like the colouring and the finish that you have put on this piece. Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
I can see the appeal to others, of this piece, but it's not to my personal taste as I find that there's too many colours, textures and patterns going on. Having said that, the work looks to have been of an excellent standard and the finish reflects the quality of work.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 07:14:51 AM »
Like this a lot. You see scores of these off centred turnings but this one is different with the design in the central ring making it less symetrical. Good to see something a bit different. A little reminiscent of Douglas fishers work.

Pete
Thanks Pete, this was a piece I copied from a vid by Martin Saban Smith who I believe did mention Douglas Fisher, not sure I am up to his Douglas' standard yet , but you never know, one day maybe  ;)
all the best
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 07:15:59 AM »
Nice bit of turning Andy, I like the colouring and the finish that you have put on this piece. Les
Thank you Les, I am glad you like it
all the best
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »
I can see the appeal to others, of this piece, but it's not to my personal taste as I find that there's too many colours, textures and patterns going on. Having said that, the work looks to have been of an excellent standard and the finish reflects the quality of work.
Les
Thanks Les, I guess its different strokes for different blokes mate, we'd be a boring bunch of buggers if we all liked the same thing   ;D ;D ;D
all the best fella
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »
I like this.

The colours work well together, they could have been very haphazard and not sat well but you've achieved a good balance.

The pyro work is not overbearing (and reminds me of something but I cannot track down what, believe me I've tried) and it all leads the eye inward to the gilded centre, maybe a darker gold wax would have worked a tiny bit better but again it's not so strong as to over balance the piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!