Author Topic: Cherry Hollow Form  (Read 2043 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Cherry Hollow Form
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:17:36 PM »
OK, next piece. This is made from bog standard cherry. It had quite a few cracks in the sapwood (see pic of the underside) which I filled with normal glue. Next time around I think I'll mix that glue with some sawdust from the same wood, probably looks better. At any rate, I had the basic hollow vessel sitting on a shelf for several months because I couldn't quite make up my mind what to do with the top.
In this case I think: all's well that ends well. It's about 8" diameter and 6" tall.
As usual, all comments welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Cherry Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
Fuzzy,

my first thought was 'I don't like the shape.' But then you look at the incised decoration and see it as a wooden version of a ceramic shape, it makes sense and I do like it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
I like it.
Well done Fuzzy.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »
Nice hollow form. I am in the process of making a router jig to attach to the lathe to do this type of work already have a design in mind. Will show it onece complete.
This is how far I have got

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
I considered something similar myself, but have decided against it. If you start working with routers, there are all sorts of pits to fall into. You need a really fast and powerful router, extremely sharp bits, and the jig has be so stable as to not allow any vibrations or movement at all, otherwise you end up with something that looks half-baked. You'll end up with fluffed up fibres, and torn edges and wobbly curves and all sorts.
I'd rather use hand tools and drop the pretense of perfection in favour of the handmade feel. In exchange for that I get clean cut surfaces, and a lot less faffing around.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:16:35 PM »
As a beginner, I hesitate to offer an opinion, as 'who am I to ....' etc. But I must say I really like the shape of this piece of work and also the 'decoration' which is very eye-catching. The grain of the wood on the top curved surface is beautiful and the decoration seems to hover above it and adds something. May I ask what tool(s) you used to scribe the decorative lines and how it was finished? :)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
The decorative lines are not scribed, they are carved V-grooves, that cut up to 3mm deep into the surface. This was done with Flexcut carving tools, but any other good carving tools will achieve the same. The entire piece was then spray painted in matt black, then sanded back so only the grooves retain the black paint. Final finish was some sanding sealer on the plain wood, and some acrylic lacquer all over.

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
Very nice Fuzzy, I like the carved lines in this piece, they set it off a treat
All the best
Andy
regards
Andy