Author Topic: Hello and questions from a new turner  (Read 3270 times)

Offline welly

• iron
Hello and questions from a new turner
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
Hi all,

I've just signed up as I recently bought myself a wood lathe and have ordered myself a set of chisels (a Robert Sorby set) and am raring to get started. I had a beginners lesson, really a short induction more than anything, loved it so wanted to have a proper go!

Questions are really "what now?" - I have a Sip Tools mini lathe as I live on a narrowboat and have limited space but it'll be enough to turn 12" bowls and spinning tops and little ornaments, maybe the odd pen or two (and they will be odd, there's no doubting that!).

My setup will be mostly on the towpath which will be fun and interesting to deal with but I think I can manage that. I do need to pick up some safety gear which I'll be doing soon. But what next? Is there anything I need to do with the lathe to prep it? I assume it'll want levelling (every time I set it up next to my boat) which is fine. And I'll need to get a grinding stone too.

Anyway, looking forward to getting stuck in. Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Hello and questions from a new turner
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »
Welcome Welly (I'm guessing that's not your real name)....firstly, it's good that you got some instruction before starting, although you make it sound as though it was very brief. There really is a very strong case for getting good instruction, either from a wood turning club local to where you moor, but understandably tricky if you're continuously cruising, or by visiting an accredited turner who takes in students. This is going to be especially important if you're going to be working on the towpath and members of the public are passing by, so the very least you'd need would be a screen. Levelling a lathe is not crucial; it's rather more important that the lathe stands firmly and cannot wobble. Setting up on soft ground could be a nightmare, especially if a bench-leg sinks into soft earth - that really would be too risky.
Your biggest issue is safety...think long and hard about the risks posed to yourself and to passers-by, identify the risks and take measures to minimise them to an acceptable standard (that's acceptable to the public, not just yourself).
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
Hi welly and welcome. Which canal are you lon? If you are on the K&A PM me as I may be able to help. I have several contacts on boats on that canal. All that Les says is applicable but above all there is no substitute for some hands on instruction and guidance,

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 11:06:54 PM »
Hi Welly and welcome to the forum, please feel free to ask for assistance (as you have), we love to help.

Turning on a Towpath, you're in for an interesting journey.

I'd suggest bolting your lathe to a board of something, offcut of kitchen worktop or similar and another bit of wood underneath, so you form a wide flat 'T' shape. This could be held in a workmate type system and it will all collapse down quite small. A similar arrangement for the Grinder will work as well.

As Les (Gwyntog) notes, if you're turning where the public can pass, you'll need to consider them, so arranging for a safety screen in front of your lathe is also a must. People will be interested, so keep them on the safe side, don't let them come round the rear by you.

Safety gear for yourself, a visor to EN166 1B (https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-fm952-safety-visor-500080) and possibly a couple of Workshop Mats (http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-6-piece-floor-mat-set-120-x-180cm) to stand on so your not on grass or anything slippery.

It will take some time to be able to make something worthwhile, so don't be afraid to use found wood, hedgerow or firewood to practice on, and do practice.

Looking forward to pictures of your set-up and turned work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline welly

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »
Thanks for your advice! Some good points to consider. I've got a pretty substantial (folding) saw bench which will hold up to over 250kg which I use with my mitre saw. I'm going to knock up a platform for the lathe to sit on but I think that'll be mere than adequate. Definitely some good points about setting up a screen, I shall have to look into options for this. I'm sure you're quite right in it'll attract a bit of attention. I'll be working on the gravel bit of the towpath so I don't think I'll need to worry too much about the lathe sinking into the ground.

Pete, I'm on the grand union in London although have plans to go further afield this year so will give you a shout when I do!

Thanks again!

Alastair/welly

Offline welly

• iron
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »
So progress has been made! I've. Got my lathe set up and it fits within the front of my boat so I can turn without having to resort to the towpath. This is much better. I turned my first bowl today, it went better than expected until the end..

See attachments! I suspect it is technique and a little bit of a lack of room but found cutting the inside of the bowl a bit awkward. I think I'll just have to work on my body position and it'll probably take a few goes to properly get my lathe set up in a prime position.

Anyway, it was plenty of fun, learned a bit more about my tools (Robert Sorby set) and have a few more blanks to have another few goes this week before I have to start thinking about a grinder to sharpen the tools.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:19:30 PM by welly »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
We've all done it, so don't worry about it.

I suggest that you used 'found wood' more than bought blanks to start with. It can get expensive turning lampshades while you're learning.

But well done otherwise and great to see you have the courage to post your first mistake, it is the only way to learn.

Next purchase a set of calipers to measure the thickness of the bowl.

Offline welly

• iron
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »
Thanks very much for the encouragement! I shall be having another go one evening this week.

When I bought my tools it came with a small free offering of some bowl blanks and so currently working my way through those. I think you are absolutely right in using found wood and luckily for me a friend of mine is a tree surgeon so I shall be pestering him for a few off cuts!

Will post up my next effort that I'll be working on later this week. Another bowl most likely but hopefully one that'll keep its contents not let them fall through.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:45:25 PM by welly »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:39 AM »
Welly you said you can have another couple of goes before thinking about a grinder, may I suggest that you wait until you do have the grinder, one reason is that turning with blunt tools is dangerous and less enjoyable than turning with sharp tools but also with a sharp chisel you may find that the problems you had with stance evaporate. Although sharp when new chisels need sharpening when they first come out of the box, you may well have turned that bowl,nice shape by the way, with blunt tools, imagine the outcome with sharp ones.
   I am glad you manged to get set up onboard as clearing up shavings from a gravel path is never very successful and leaving a mess of shavings could end up giving woodturners a poor reputation. Don't throw that bowl away, in a few weeks you will have the skills to turn an insert to save it. Best of luck.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
I'm intrigued by the shape of the off-cut and the corresponding hole in the bottom of the bowl....it looks as though you might have tried to use a parting tool to slice the bowl off the tenon that was holding it in the chuck. Was that the case?
Les

Offline welly

• iron
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 12:03:53 AM »
That's exactly what I did, Les. And as soon as I started the cut, I thought to myself "what are you doing?" but by which time was too late. So I won't be doing that again. For some reason it made sense at the time until I'd started the cut and then it made no sense at all.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:30 PM »
Yep, we've all done that and said that as well!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 10:46:04 PM »
That's exactly what I did, Les. ...
It's really risky going in that deep with a parting tool....the wood either side of the cut provides so much friction that the tool can swell to fill the groove that you're cutting and it just rubs until it binds. If you look closely at the off-cut, you'll see the friction mark as a ring on the timber. It's far safer to find some way of reversing the bowl and cleaning the underside at slow speed with a small detail gouge. Are you familiar with that method?
Les