Author Topic: Apples  (Read 5692 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Apples
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
Here are some apples that I turned some time ago.they were turned from Sycamore then coloured with acrylic paints and sprayed with Chestnut Lacquer a Beech twig in the top and a Clove in the bottom.Comments welcome.Regards John
John Smith

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Apples
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
Hello John

Are you sure there wood and not real.

Very lifelike, well done.

Philip

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
Hi John,
           very life like right down to the stripey? sort of finish in the colouring.
Well done
John

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:29:34 PM »

Hi John,  Look soo real, could almost eat one..    ;)..  excellent job there, nice shape and lovely colour, beautiful red apples.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
Hi John,

Perfect shape and love the rich colour.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Hi John,
looks just so real one might be tempted to take a bite !! - well done
Regards
ken

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
Thank you everyone who took the time to comment on my apples.I first saw a lady named Jenny Norman painting these at Yandles Spring Show about 3 years ago her Husband turned the apples and Jenny Painted them she was an artist and she even named the variety.You couldn't tell the difference between them and the real thing.Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:04:58 AM »

John, Very interest you mentioning Jenny, I'd known them as Jenny & Norman, he was chairman of the South Somerset Woodturners, North Petherton, when I was with the Club and lived 2 streets across from me in Taunton, they to have moved and are in North Devon and the last I'd seen them are turning full time and members of RPT, as I was given to understand.
Jenny did name the variety, usually Royal Gala, she was well informed and would tell you the change of name for it as the season changed and paint them as such, very interesting to see her paint.

David

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »

John, Very interest you mentioning Jenny, It was Jenny & Graham, he was chairman of the Somerset Woodturners, North Petherton, when I was with the Club and lived 2 streets across from me in Taunton, both were very helpful, they to have moved and are in North Devon and the last I'd seen them are turning full time and members of RPT, as I was given to understand.
Jenny did name the variety, usually Royal Gala, she was well informed and would tell you the change of name for it as the season changed and paint them as such, very interesting to see her paint.

David

Had to correct myself.....     :-[....