Author Topic: Browsing the web - Grizzly lathes  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Browsing the web - Grizzly lathes
« on: April 30, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
Hi all,
I was browsing the web yesterday for nothing in particular and happened across the Grizzly Industrial Company website. This American company product a range of wood lathes and say they ship to the UK (although I imagine the cost of shipping a lathe would be eye-watering). I'm not actually looking for a lathe  :)  but as it's a make I'd never heard of before, I thought expand my knowledge by asking - does anyone on here use one and are they good, bad or indifferent?
Mike.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Browsing the web - Grizzly lathes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
You see them a lot on the American sites and they seem to have a decent reputation. Can't begin to imagine the cost of shipping to the UK though.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »
And remember it's not just the actual shipping cost, you will have to pay import duty and VAT on all of it; cost of lathe, cost of shipping and the duty.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »
You might find the cost of shipping isn't as bad as you think, but anything cheap will be by sea and take a long time. Also whilst they might offer to ship to the UK will that be a 240v model or will you need a voltage converter or new motor ?

Looking at the web site they mostly look like they've come out of the same factory as the Jet/Powermatic lathes.

I really can't see why you'd bother to import something like this when you can buy effectively the same thing from a reputable UK supplier with less trouble and delay. If you needed to send something back under warranty it would cost a fair bit and you might be without a working lathe for some time.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »
Orrr.... go on holiday to the states with a few friends and get them to each put a piece in their luggage to bring back. At customs just say it is a piece of tribal art. That should work! ;D ;D ;D