Author Topic: Noob Chuck choice for Poolwood superlathe  (Read 3567 times)

Offline SimonW

• iron
Noob Chuck choice for Poolwood superlathe
« on: March 31, 2018, 09:40:08 PM »
First of all, I'm a bit new to woodturning so please forgive any idiocy that follows!

I've recently bought a second hand Poolwood PW28-40 Superlathe. So far I've been muddling through with the chuck and chuck attachments that came with it. From what I can gather, this is a mixture of original chuck with third party parts. Unfortunately the screw chuck attachment is quite difficult to get centred, and once it is centred, can move a fraction once turning, no matter how tight it is in the chuck. Also, there's no faceplate. In short, I'm thinking it may be time to update the chuck etc.

My first question is- does anyone know what the spindle size and thread is for this machine? I'm pretty sure it's a 35mm diameter just from measuring it, but I can't seem to find out the specs for definite before narrowing down my chuck choices.

Question 2. Ultimately I'd like to be able to make best use of this lathes capacity and turn large diameter pieces. Is there any chuck/accessories people would recommend that would be a good choice for now, but also for turning larger pieces as my experience (and bravery!) grows?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Noob Chuck choice for Poolwood superlathe
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
Sizes for spindles are given here.

https://www.toolpost.co.uk//pages/Chucks___Accessories/Spindle_Data/spindle_data.html

It says your spindle size is 1.1/2" x 6 tpi.

Secondly wood chucks are self centring, you say yours is difficult to centre them can move. It is an engineering 4 jaw chuck that you can set each jaw individually?

As for turning large objects, firstly you'll need master turning but then the question needs to be asked, large (wide) bowls or tall (deep) vessels, both need different tools and techniques.

Truthfully, first learn to turn, join a club, take a lesson or 2 with a professional turner, then when you are ready to step up to where you want to be, you'll know the questions to ask and who to visi9t for a lesson in the methods you'll need to know to pursue your eventual goal.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:42:59 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline SimonW

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, especially for the spindle info. The screw part of the chuck is an attachment and it's just not a good fit with the chuck, it's definitely a compatibility issue between the attachment and the chuck.

I am definitely planning to start small, get advice and lessons before attempting anything of any size. I was just hoping if I bought a decent chuck now, it would serve as an investment. Unless there's disadvantages turning smaller pieces on heavier duty chucks? 

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
Unless there's disadvantages turning smaller pieces on heavier duty chucks?
Not that I've ever encountered.

Any of the decent 4" chucks will be a good investment and allow you to grow as a turner;
Sorby Patriot, Record SC4, Nova Supernova, Versachuck* are all excellent chucks that have inserts that will allow you to change lathe in the future if needed.
Unfortunately the only Axminster chuck that fits is the wonderful sk114, a great chuck, but expensive and with a fixed mount.

*The Versachuck is a good budget chuck, you choose the jaw carriers to suit any of the major brands Axminster/Record/Nova/Sorby, so a huge range of jaws is possible. I'd advise you to avoid the Verschuck own brand jaws as they don't seem as well made and finished as the 'names' and aren't such a bargain either.

Offline SimonW

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »
Many thanks APH. I thought I was a fairly practical and tech minded guy until I started looking into chucks, their compatibility, jaw types and threads! That's narrowed things down a lot though, thanks again  :)

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »
I'm afraid I'm slightly wrong about the details above. That big 1 1/2" thread on your Poolewood will be rather limiting.
The only chuck currently available with interchangeable threads that big is the Versachuck which has a backplate to suit (about £135 without jaws). Otherwise you're committed to buying a fixed thread chuck and then you're primarily limited to either an Axminster SK114 or a Sorby Patriot both of which are about £180 without jaws. (There's also the Oneway Stronghold, but at nearly £300 is likely to be over most people's budgets.)

Most of us start with 'C' type jaws that hold a tenon around 50mm diameter. Then add extra jaws as our requirements change.

A final option would be to buy a headstock thread adaptor. Charnwood make one to convert down to the industry standard of M33x 3.5 for £20 and that would open the door to cheaper alternative chucks listed previously. Some people might not like the idea of using adapters like this though, but given such a chunky starting point it ought to be OK for all but the most demanding big work.

Offline SimonW

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 09:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the information APH, that's really helpful. It sounds like the M33 thread adapter/cheaper chuck and jaws might be the most sensible route. As I'm really only turning bowls, I'm also tempted to just buy a threaded faceplate (my screw chuck is the biggest problem right now), make do with my original chuck Jaws, and save up for save up for the Axminster or the patriot.

Thanks again for taking the time, much appreciated.