Author Topic: 25mmx2 thread  (Read 6249 times)

Offline TonyinSuffolk

• iron
25mmx2 thread
« on: March 25, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
I have a tyme avon lathe which needs a 25x2mm thread for the face plate,  does any one know where i can get a couple and also the tailstock seems to be a morse2 but the headstock seems bigger, any comments about that, as you can tell i am a novice so be gentle

Tony

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: 25mmx2 thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
I know the Toolpost do faceplates, but not if they do them in the tread you want, you could call them.

The other idea is you could buy one of their VersaChucks, you can have one made with the thread you want, it is a listed option - https://www.toolpost.co.uk//pages/Chucks___Accessories/VersaChuck/versachuck.html,

Then you could buy a faceplate ring (or 2) that is held by the jaws that come with the chuck - https://www.toolpost.co.uk//pages/Chucks___Accessories/APTC_Chuck_Jaws/aptc_chuck_jaws.html#faceplaterings.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »
we had a Tyme Cub for the clubs first demo lathe and the had a 20mm * 2mm thread, we had to get new insert specially made by a club member to fit my Axminster chuck.
This explains why we sold it and another lathe.
Tonyin Suffolk, are you any where near Bury St Edmunds? our club meets every second Monday of the month and the next meeting is 9 April
Ron

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
Hello Tony and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, there is a very useful page of information about the Tyme Avon on the www.lathes.co.uk website at http://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/.
It states that both headstock and tailstock are 2MT, and the screw thread at the headstock is 2mm x 25mm (as you state). This was a popular machine, and well built for its era, so I imaging there must be 2 x 25 faceplates available. One other option might be to buy one of the sort of threaded insert which is widely available for chucks, with a 2 x 25 female thread to fit your lathe, and a male thread to match whatever faceplate you can find....assuming you fail to find a 2 x 25 faceplate.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 06:14:25 PM »
I used to run an Avon and bought an adaptor for it which screwed onto the head stock allowing me tomjuse my chucks etc directly. I got the adaptor from Peter Childs but they are bought out by Toolpost so not sure where you can get them now. Basically it is an exert with a 
25mmx2 thread internal thread and an appropriate thread size on the outer part. Sure you could get this made up if it isn't available still

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 07:41:11 PM »
I don't think anyone makes face plates that will fit the Avon anymore. Even secondhand you might have to wait a long time to find one, most get sold complete with the lathes as people trade up.
As others have said, your best option is buy a chuck with standard jaws and get a faceplate ring that fits onto the chuck jaws. You'll find a chuck invaluable anyway. You have a choice of three* that are available with inserts to fit the Avon, the Toolpost Versachuck, Record Power SC4 and Sorby Patriot. Any of these will be a good investment as if you need to upgrade in future you'll only need a new (cheap) insert to fit another lathe.

My Avon has both ends with MT2

A final note; Check that the thread actually is 25mm x 2mm before buying anything. Tyme also advertised it being available with a 3/4" 16tpi headstock too.

*It's also possible to get the magnificent Axminster SK114 in the correct thread, but it's expensive and doesn't have interchangeable inserts if you need to upgrade.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:05:01 PM by APH »

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »
Hi Tony.

Robert Sorby do thread adaptors to fit their chucks the spindle thread is not a problem I stock them. The adaptor will fit the Patriot, Nova & Record chucks.

There is another option you can contact Ian Parkin a member here he will make you an adaptor I don't know if this could be on a face plate but send him a message Ianparkin

Pete, Peter Childs was taken over by Robert Sorby/Turners Retreat.

All the best

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:50 PM »

Pete, Peter Childs was taken over by Robert Sorby/Turners Retreat.

All the best

Ed

My mistake. Lose track of who bought out who LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TonyinSuffolk

• iron
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:25:46 PM »
Thanks for all reply's, i am in Ipswich, i have taken my live center? from the tailstock and it is very loose when put in the headstock so for some reason they are defo not the same i do have an old nova chuck fitted so maybe that has an insert.
                                                Regards
                                                         Tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:04:03 AM »
Hi Tony

Your Nova chuck will have an insert so that's one problem solved just buy a face place ring which can then be screwed to your blank. Then it fits to the chuck.

The centre size is something different! If the 2MT centre is just a tad lose in the drive spindle then it could be damage or worn. If it's way to small then for some reason it could be a 3MT.

This one of the problems with old lathes you don't know what's happen to it over the years. Someone could have fitted a new spindle or had the old one re-engineered.

There is a simple fix to the problem buy a drive centre to fit your Nova chuck.

I've put a couple of links below so you can see what I'm talking about.

All the best

Ed

https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product-category/wood-lathe-accessories/face-plates/
https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/multi-chuck-drive-centre/
https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/chuck-mounted-stebcentre/

Offline TonyinSuffolk

• iron
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
Cheers, that's very helpful

Tony

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
i do have an old nova chuck fitted
This might sound odd, but you are taking the chuck off when checking the headstock taper aren't you ? You wouldn't be the first novice to try to fit a Morse Taper into a chuck centre.

I think the idea that the spindle has been re-engineered to a MT3 an extremely remote possibility. It's difficult to understand why anyone would take so much trouble and expense to make a, comparatively cheap lathe, non-standard. It's more likely to be a simpler answer.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
The thick end of a morse taper 3 is approx 24mm so if the 25mm spindle had that size hole in it, it would be very weak.

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
I believe that some of the older lathes had a MT1 tailstock and MT2 headstock. could this be the case?

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners,org,uk

Offline TonyinSuffolk

• iron
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »
i have removed the chuck, and the tailstock drive which should be and seems to be a 2 taper does not fit anything like snugly into the headstock, i think that my best bet is to get a cheap 3 taper and give it a go . Thanks for all the posts.

Cheers
                                               Tony