Author Topic: Questions  (Read 21794 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Questions
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
Feel free to ask any turning related questions but before you do, try the search function at the top right of the page. It may be that someone has already asked the question and you might find it has already been answered.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:20:04 PM »
Hi Paul,

Good point but are you aware that a search only searches the 'current' category i.e. whichever category you are viewing. For example, if you are in the Events section and do a search for 'Nova',  the search returns no results, but if you go to the 'Home' (General category) page which shows all the categories, it will find lots of results.

Even more problematic, if you are viewing a specific posting, the search only goes through that posting. It does not search anywhere else.

This may be a function of the website that could be modified but for now, members need to remember to do their searches from the 'Home' (General category) page.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »
I can see where you are coming from but do you not want posts? If no one asks questions then it might as well just be a knowledge base. I prefer to ask a specific question and get an answer rather that searching for a general subject and getting loads of results to wade through. That is if i can work out how to search in the first place.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »
If you click search then choose advanced search, you have the option of searching all boards or just the one(s) you select. No modification needed :)

No, I'm not trying to stop anyone posting questions, I just thought it was worth pointing out the feature that might save some time in finding an answer.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
If I enter something in the search bar and click I do not get an advanced search?

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 09:16:00 PM »
Crazy  --  You need to click on the Search which is on the tool bar above, Home, Help, Search, Profile etc. This will bring up the advanced options. Hope this helps  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »
If you don't enter anything in the search box and click the search button, that also gives you a link to the advanced search.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
thanks, got there now.

Offline k.carvings11

• iron
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 02:08:41 AM »
Hello Everyone.

My name is Kade Bolger. I am a professional woodturner. I am traveling from Toronto, Ontario, Canada to attend you AWGB International Woodturning Seminar this year in Oct. 2018. I was wondering if anyone here in the Manchester area would be interested in offering a BnB for a few nights Oct 1-4 and anyone for nights of 7-9. If not, does anyone know of any good BnB's in the surrounding area please?

Thank you.
Sincerely,

Kade Bolger

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »
Sorry Kade I can't help you there but come and say hello during the seminar, I will be manning the RPT stand (Iam the really good looking one with the beard) you can't miss me! ;D ;D

Offline k.carvings11

• iron
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 11:27:09 PM »
Hello The Bowler Hatted Turner.

OK. Thank you. No problem. I'll pop by and say hi. I look forward attending this event and meeting you and other turners.

Cheers 🍻

Offline Sioncoop

• iron
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 11:06:47 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum so if I'm doing anything wrong please tell me lol. I'm looking for an upgrade but am torn between the axminster 1628 (now the at406wl)  and the twister fu 180. I've found plenty of review on the axminster and they look and sound a real good lathe and one that will last but the twister fu 180 is around 300 quid cheaper but I can't find any reviews on it at all just wondering has any ody had any expiriencw with the twister fu 180

Thanks very much

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 10:31:03 AM »
Never heard of the Twister but if Simon Hpe stocks it the  I would assume it's a good one. I personally am not as enamoured with Axminster as some due to a number of 'glitches' I have had with their equipment but I am almost alone in that.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 09:04:53 AM »
Simon Hope used to sell the Twister FU200, which is essentially the same lathe as the Axminster 1628, until Axminster basically forced him to stop selling it, so now he can only offer the Twister FU180 (slightly smaller lathe). I have the FU200, and it's a very good machine (so presumably the same is true for the Axminster). So in the end it really comes down to a price difference of £300 vs a max. diameter over the bed of 400mm or 360mm. Considering both lathes have swivelling headstocks, that is not really a limitation, so I guess I personally would go for the Twister. Happy to provide a more detailed review of the Twister FU-200.