Author Topic: why do you buy timber?  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Re: why do you buy timber?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 02:32:51 PM »
I rarely buy timber but earlier this year I had the incredible good luck to win some exotic timber in the last raffle organised by the Tool Post.  The picture shows me in my workshop with the prize.

All the wood came from Catapu (forestry concession belonging to TCT Dalmann), Sofala Province, central Mozambique, South Africa. These were new to me and comprised:

Leadwood Combretum imberbe, also know in the local Sena language as Nangali and often referred to as Monzo.

Wild Mango Cordylia Africana, also known and marketed using its Sena (local Language) name, Mutondo.

Chamfuta  Afzelia quanzensis, also known as Pod Mahogany. 

Panga Panga Milletia stuhlmannii

Xylia Xylia torreana, known locally as N'cala and regionally in English as Sand ash. 

Am really enjoying working and revealing the qualities of these and I am grateful to the Toolpost for giving me the opportunity of working with wood which I never knew existed.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:35:02 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
you should come to my container tim, i've tons of timber in there that you will have never heard of.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
Tim, you have some great timbers there. We have been using Dalmann's timber at Cheam Woodturners and our twin club, Central Oklahoma Woodturners, since 2014. Lovely range of timber and as always our thanks to Rob for all his help.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 11:18:03 PM »
Many thanks for that info David.  Can't believe my good fortune and as you say it is really beautiful timber.

Tim