Author Topic: Workshop Insurance advice  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Workshop Insurance advice
« on: March 22, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »
Ok looking around my shop last night and realized just how much monies worth of kit a caboodle I have accumulated over the years. Whilst I have general house insurance (Rented property) I think this would be woefully inadequate if the worst happened. Can anyone advise a good insurance company who would cover the complexities of a well stocked hobby workshop and anything to avoid / include.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Workshop Insurance advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »

Hi Stuart,

I have my contents insurance with NFU Mutual and when I took out the policy I asked about including my workshop, I have been with them since as no one gets near them for me, what they charge is less than many for just house contents and my policy covers up to £10,000 contents in just my workshop.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
Likewise here, Stuart. I've had exactly the same experience as Martin.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:17:37 PM »
Stuart,
I have had similar problems to you, the only ones I could find to insure workshop contents were, Ian Wallace (Craft Insurance) and Artists National (A-N).  For A-N, you have to have displayed/held a stall at a number of craft events in the preceding year, or something like that, but it is great value at araound £35 per year which includes £2m of Public Liability, take a look at them.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »
A-n insurance is to 5m not 2m and covers pretty much everything that you could need but I am not sure it actually covers workshop contents in the way the original post requires. Here's the wording as in the policy

This policy is only operative while the Artist member is undertaking the following
activities in connection with their visual or applied art practice:
(a) the making, developing, designing, creating, preparing, installing,
selecting, exhibiting, presenting, display and sale of any works of visual or
applied art (including works made in collaboration with others or work not
created by the a-n Artist member)
(b) the lecturing, teaching or demonstrating of visual or applied art including
(but not limited to) workshops, residencies and community projects
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
Stuart,
I have had similar problems to you, the only ones I could find to insure workshop contents were, Ian Wallace (Craft Insurance) and Artists National (A-N).  For A-N, you have to have displayed/held a stall at a number of craft events in the preceding year, or something like that, but it is great value at araound £35 per year which includes £2m of Public Liability, take a look at them.

Dave

Careful - The £35 option is Public & Products Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance only.  There is no cover for workshop contents, tools etc at all.  For that you need the additional AIP cover which starts at £99 for £1000 of workshop contents https://www.a-n.co.uk/about/artists-insurance-policy-aip