Author Topic: VB36 Slight Vibration Started  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
VB36 Slight Vibration Started
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »
Ok, so I have never had this before, I have a small vibration appeared on the VB, I have taken the chuck off in case it was that, still there. I have run the motor without the belts on, not there so I guess that rules out the motor. Bearings adjusted and lubed, still there, belts appear ok not hard or cracked. It appears in two spots through the high speed range almost like a resonance in a helicopter, its not at all speeds. I cannot see anything untoward and I haven't noticed it before. Older Model VB serial 1059, anyone suggest what else to check.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: VB36 Slight Vibration Started
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:53:21 AM »

It sounds like the thrust bearings have picked up. It will require you moving the shaft out and either renew ,,, have
    ground down or you could try to polish them on a flat stone ..... Don't forget to make sure the grease nipples
    are clean and working ..... I have done mine 3 times my fault I'm a bit lazy on greasing. Might sound a bit daunting
    but its easy enough and takes about an hour.
         Hope That Helps
         Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
Georg, thanks for the reply, any issues with damaging the seals etc. on replacing the shaft, also anything to watch for when stripping?

S.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »
 Well  Memory not that good ( I'm getting old ) :) But
 1..No problem with seals ..... 2..oil will run out of cups..... 3..remove all parts from rear.... 4..keep in sequence
 5.. undo grub screws on pulley ( on keyway )......6.. pull out shaft towards tailstock....7. remove inner thrust bearings
 8.. turn over thrust bearing where you can to use other side...9 ..polish where required..
 10..clean all and replace everything ..   11..takecare grease nipples are working and oil ways are clean don't over grease
 as it can contaminate and block oil way....Check after running to take up play in thrust washers... try to remember to
 re grease every 2 weeks...... Hope This Helps .. if you need further info just ask
 Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
Sounds just the job

my thanks

S.

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
One thing if you have not checked is the grub screws holding the pulley on the shaft and the motor. I had to snug mine up and it cured noise and suspected vibration. An Allen key on its own was not enough I had to use ones with a racket drive from a socket set. It actually took a bit of snugging up almost to the stage I was worried I would strip threads but it did the trick.
Michael

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »
Thanks Guys,

got a few things to check and double check over the week end. Will report back.