Author Topic: Laser engraving  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
Laser engraving
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for advice on laser engravers that can be used to 'print' on flat and curved items. My pyrography skills are reasonable but 'could do better' as my teachers used to say, so I am considering a computer controlled machine. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations - good or bad, of any such machines?
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Laser engraving
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »
Paul,
I know a little from reading and doing work for a company that uses one, but not from experience of using.

To do curved surfaces you need a 4 axis engraver, that is an attachment something like a rotisery to turn the item being engraved under the laser beam.

You also need a drawing package on your computer. What package depends upon what the engraver needs as an input, some will accept jpgs others have their own file system, and as for anything like that, the special software can be expensive, sometimes more than the machine.
I suggest you make sure of the machines requirements before buying one.

I'd also add that they are not cheap, so you would need to be doing a lot of work to make it pay for itself.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
Is there no other option what do you want to engrave might help

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 05:26:25 PM »
Hi Derek,
This has been prompted by a customer's order for 200 bodkin handles with, hopefully, more to come in the future. They would like to 'print' their logo on the handle and there is nowhere flat on the handle where I could use a branding iron. And a branding iron would only give me one logo, so the laser option looks to be a better idea in the long run, as I could use it on any of my other products, and for other customers.
Regards,

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 07:12:08 PM »
Paul,
I have a friend who has a laser engraver. From talking to him I would say it is down to learning how to use the software and as has been said before good software can be expensive. The cheaper machines my also need a bit of tweaking to give good results ie lining up mirrors and also learning about the power settings.
If you have a knowledge of how to operate the software I would think that you would be well ahead of the game.
After speaking to my pal I convinced myself it was not for me i.e. no idea how to program the machine.
If it were me I would make the handles and pass on the laser work to someone else. I still think it would be a nice bit of kit to have but for me I don’t have enough time to learn how to use it.
Michael

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your post. The software doesn't bother me, I used to work in the computer industry, CAD/CAM, CNC machines and the beginnings of 3D printing, so I know it can be as pricey as the hardware.

This latest job has inspired me to look into getting my own setup, as I can see a multitude of uses for it, possibly offering it as a service to other turners.

I am hoping there are other turners who have gone through this process already and may be willing to share their expertise.
Regards,

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Paul
By what my mate said then ,I can’t see you having a problem. He’s just moved into CNC routing as well. He has been getting some if his kit from Germany. Think it is Chinese but they are doing some mods on bits and pieces. Watch  they are not just freight forwarding tho.
When you get your one up and running you can teach me how to use it 😉
Michael

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »
Have you looked at hot foil printing. You would need a foil printer and die of the logo shaped to the part area you wish to print, plus a locating jig for the part. Then it is pretty simple to operate. And print each part. Just a thought. Malcolm.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 08:44:21 PM »
Paul,

Have you considered this stuff - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181840164873?var=480788511967 Water Slide Decal paper, the stuff you used when making model aircraft of similar when you were younger.

A page could be printed up with many copies of the logo needed, the each cut out and applied, a spray over with an acrylic varnish and it's set.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
I have just bought an elksmaker a3 laser engrave and built it last week. My working knowledge is building and l have had limited success so far, but it is early days, l think l have an issue in that l should have bough a stronger laser.
My findings so far are the elksmaker is Chinese made and has some safety issues, the glasses that come with it are a bare minimum and l will be upgrading these ASAP. There are some copies of the elksmaker some on sale from the same sites so purchase via the elksmake site eleksmaker.com. The laser can fire when the unit is switched on, see what l mean about safety issues, but there is a DIY fix for this mentioned on forums facebook etc.

When you get the machine up and running that is the starting point the next part is choosing software and finding out how it all works. Asking questions on forums Re. what software etc you will get a number of different answers. I'm trying various options at the moment but know l want software that can deal with greyscale images.

Being an enthusiasts DIY kit there are a couple of people who have designed addons for pen engraving  and other  items but l am still at the walking stage.

I must admit l started with a small NEJE laser engraver which has a two wire laser to print  on spurtles, the upgrade to an A3 will hopefully make placing the spurtles on the engraving area easier. The photo is a spurtle that l did on the smaller engraver.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:35:48 PM by davidbrac »

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »
I have just bought an elksmaker a3 laser engrave and built it last week. My working knowledge is building and l have had limited success so far, but it is early days, l think l have an issue in that l should have bough a stronger laser.
My findings so far are the elksmaker is Chinese made and has some safety issues, the glasses that come with it are a bare minimum and l will be upgrading these ASAP. There are some copies of the elksmaker some on sale from the same sites so purchase via the elksmake site eleksmaker.com. The laser can fire when the unit is switched on, see what l mean about safety issues, but there is a DIY fix for this mentioned on forums facebook etc.

Hi David, Thanks for the information about your venture into laser engraving, and for posting the picture of your spurtle. I had looked at one of those  budget machines but realised it would only do relatively  small images and only really flat/ single plane surfaces. I have been speaking to a few companies that do multi-axis machines but the cost is a lot higher.  I will be very interested to hear how you get on with your new machine.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »

Hi David, Thanks for the information about your venture into laser engraving, and for posting the picture of your spurtle. I had looked at one of those  budget machines but realised it would only do relatively  small images and only really flat/ single plane surfaces. I have been speaking to a few companies that do multi-axis machines but the cost is a lot higher.  I will be very interested to hear how you get on with your new machine.

The new one l have is an A3 size, however l have had problems setting this up and finally made contact with Eleskmaker stating the laser module is faulty, l was getting frustrated as they hand't replied, but today a new laser module arrived in the post :)  I installed the new laser module and used my previous setting to engrave something and was left with a chard mess, so l was right the module was faulty.

The software that comes with the machine is not very good so l am presently evaluating two different packages T2 and Lightburn. Presently T2 looks easier to  use but lightburn looks as if it has more potential.  l am sticking to black and white images as greyscale will take some more in depth knowledge and practice.

The best part about the A3 elksmaker is that it is a frame that you can lift up to get deeper objects lined-up for engraving.