Author Topic: Hello from a newbie  (Read 2807 times)

Offline andyspark

• iron
Hello from a newbie
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
Hi everyone,

Im new to the wood turning scene , just bought a sealey sm1308 lathe and i'm looking for constructive advice please

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Hello from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Firstly, welcome to woodturning and welcome to the forum.
Secondly, your question is so open-ended that many of us could each write a book of useful advise, and there's already dozens of them written, published and freely available. However, if I were to offer a grain of advise, it would be to consider what you want from woodturning and how you see your future. You've bought a Sealey lathe which will see you ok to get a feel for the craft, but it might not be robust enough for the future, if you want to make larger, heavier pieces. So, working on the possibility that you might upgrade in the future, think carefully before you buy sundry equipment that specifically fits your lathe, because they might not fit whatever lathe you buy in the future and a lot of expense can be tied up in accessories.
Buy the best quality tools and accessories that you can  afford and get some first hand advise, whether it's from a woodturning club near you somewhere, or whether it's from a professional wood turner who provides training. It is possible to go it alone, but you'll learn the slow and hard way, and possibly the less-than-safe way as well.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »
Andyspark the best advice I can give you is give it all up now before the bug bites or be prepared to spend the rest of your life (and money) on an all consuming hobby/craft. You may enjoy it now but be warned as you get better your enjoyment level will increase and as a human being can only take so much enjoyment there is a real danger of being infected with joy for the rest of your life. Quit now while you are ahead!!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
Ignore that last postit comes from a Marmite lover!
The best advice I can give is join a woodturning club, there is a list on the AWGB web site.
Good luck with the turning
Ron

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »
Ignore that last postit comes from a Marmite lover!
The best advice I can give is join a woodturning club, there is a list on the AWGB web site.
Good luck with the turning
Ron
;D ;D ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
Andy,

And a big welcome from me as well.

I agree that joining a Club is paramount. Yes you can learn to turn without, I did. But it was not until I joined a club that I learnt about Shape and Form that make all the difference to a piece of work.

Also if your budget stretches to it, spend a day with a professional, it will pay dividends when it comes to sharpening tools, tool presentation, H&S and all the important things to help you progress quickly to making safely and properly.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 08:47:32 PM »
My advice for what its worth is , Have some lessons with a professional turner that way you will learn rather than develop bad habbits

It is very enjoyble and creative  :D

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:10:50 PM »
Andy, if you tell us which county you are in we can let you know the names of professional tutors in your area. Have a look at the services offered on this website, if none of them are suitable PM me and I can give you other names. With the exception of my words above the advice the others have given is sound advice and has proven time and again to be worth listening to. The other thing about joining a club is there is always bits and pieces being sold off cheaply, including tools.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum and woodturning.

The best advice I can give is take a woodturning course and join a woodturning club. This will help you enjoy your woodturning safely..

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
Just enjoy every moment, even when it goes wrong, it is all part of the learning curve. good advice from the others above. Buy quality equipment and tools as you can it pays dividends. Go see local turners, club exhibitions etc ask loads of questions ( when suitable) and find a local source of cheap wood, that way the cost of the learning curve is minimalized.

Enjoy.......
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »
Welcome Andy. What part of the country are you from?
I am a new boy myself and have been made to feel at home.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.