Author Topic: Threaded inserts  (Read 8121 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Threaded inserts
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
You may struggle to chase threads at 800 rpm. 425-430 is the fastest I have ever chased at and that really is a bit too fast. It's odd actually as I am happy chasing a thread on the graduate lathe at 425 but struggle on my 330 lathe to chase at 430rpm.Only 5 rpm difference, you wouldn't think it would make much difference but with me it does.
Crazylegs you are always welcome to come for a lesson. What lathe do you have?can our group intelligence work out a way to help you reduce the speed?

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »
My lathe is from Axminster but they don't do it anymore but it is identical to this Sip one.
www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-01936-variable-speed-cast-iron-midi-wood-lathe.html
It has a variable speed knob that seems to be a rheostat. I expect it could be modified. I would love some one with more knowledge to come up with a simple plug adapter that I could dial it down a bit. I expect that's asking a bit much.
On a different subject how did you get your grinder to turn the other way?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »
My lathe is from Axminster but they don't do it anymore but it is identical to this Sip one.
It has a variable speed knob that seems to be a rheostat. I expect it could be modified. I would love some one with more knowledge to come up with a simple plug adapter that I could dial it down a bit. I expect that's asking a bit much.

I also have that lathe from Axminster and mine goes down to 650RPM but that is possibly still to fast

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 12:20:36 AM »

If the variable speed knob is a rheostat, it sounds like you have a DC motor. In which case it is possible to run the motor yet slower by further reducing the driving voltage. However, the speed control could just be a standard potentiometer which is controlling a PWM driver for the DC motor. That may take a little more modification but isn't impossible.
If on the other hand it's an inverter driven AC motor or a DVR motor, modification is much more tricky.