Author Topic: Threaded inserts  (Read 8123 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Threaded inserts
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »
Hi Derek....that's a fair point and a good solution. Thank you.
Les

You will notice the slot in the bottom runs inline with the tabs and to unlock the slot need to run along the length but if you were to use this you would need a reference pint made om the bottom to make opening easier.

Having siad this I also need to have a good go at some thread turning as I have the tools for nearly a year and with one thing or the other have not really used them in anger just the odd bit of practice on different wood.
A reference pint, what are you reccommending there Derek?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 06:10:20 PM »
Hi Derek....that's a fair point and a good solution. Thank you.
Les

You will notice the slot in the bottom runs inline with the tabs and to unlock the slot need to run along the length but if you were to use this you would need a reference point made on the bottom to make opening easier.

Having said this I also need to have a good go at some thread turning as I have the tools for nearly a year and with one thing or the other have not really used them in anger just the odd bit of practice on different wood.
A reference pint, what are you reccommending there Derek?

Trying to type faster than the brain  ;D ;D ;D have changed the text in this quote :-[ :-[ :-[ and my original post
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:13:15 PM by Derek »

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
Hi Tim....threading isn't high on my agenda, just needed for a project and if I'm going to make one such item for a commissions, I might just as well make several and put them into stock, but I can't really justify an outlay of about £300, which is what the Simon Hope jig would cost with postage.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
Here’s a thought. Not sure what size you want, but if you google screw top pots on Amazon, you can get lots of low cost different size containers in plastic or aluminium. You could cut these to suit what you need and insert them. Ready made threads. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
We have had several Demo Days at Crow Valley in the last year but I am pretty convinced that it was Simon Hope that had some threaded inserts of various sizes in his for sale display. They were sold as matching pairs, it may be worth an enquiry. 
Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
Hi Les

I’d be happy to pop across for a day and show you how to chase a thread.  Then you could use a range of acrylics perhaps?

Cheers Dave

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 04:09:21 PM »
Hi Dave...that's a very generous offer.....I don't have any thread chasing tools, though. Would you be able to bring any with you, or would it be better for me to get my own first?

Les

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 07:20:27 PM »
... I am pretty convinced that it was Simon Hope that had some threaded inserts of various sizes in his for sale display....
Thanks for the lead, Julian.....I've searched Simon's site but haven't found anything.
Les

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
Hi Les, No they are not on his website but I am sure it was he that was selling them. They were acrylic threaded rings, very thin. One male and one matching female of various diameters.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »
Thanks Julian....my customer for the first one that I make is a staunch anti-plastics sort of person, so I might bear this in mind for further stock, but for this first piece it'll need to be wood or brass.
Les

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
Les have a look at tank connectors made in brass. This is something I have used in the past and they turn down well on a woodturning lathe.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »
Sounds like there is a niche market there for someone!
Ron

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
What ever you go for remember the coinage size when deciding I did find a brass sink plug hole but it was £18 you could have made a few from it if you can buy extra brass nuts

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »
It would be free once you learn to chase threads.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »
My lathe only goes down to around 800rpm can you chase threads at this speed? I have seen a few videos and they all work at around 350 rpm. There are a couple of thread chasing sets on ebay and thought I would give it a go.  :-\
I could then come to John (Bowler hatted guru) for a lesson when I had messed it up !!
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.