Author Topic: A bowl, a wing, a foot and a leg.  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
A bowl, a wing, a foot and a leg.
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
This was one of those jobs where you have a rough idea what you want before you start, but ultimately have to go with what the wood dictates. It came about when a return-customer asked me to make an 80th birthday gift to be sent to a director of a logging company in Sweden. The customer wanted a lump of oak burr and liked the wall-hangings and sculptures that i make, but he wanted his to incorporate a bowl. Just to make things more awkward, he also wanted an inscription and a makers mark pyrographed under the bowl, which is just about impossible on weathered oak burr like this.
The solution was a winged bowl with the bowl offset to one end and a hefty scorched oak foot set into the underside of the bowl. Furthermore, the oak foot is recessed, so that a piece of beech could be set into it to take the inscription. Finally, a single leg was needed to keep the bowl balanced, with the wing, the foot and the leg all scorched. The whole piece was then lime-waxed to give an appearance of age.
The overall dimensions are 25"x10"x4" (62cm x 25cm x 10cm), whilst the centre of the bowl is 19" (47cm) from the tip of the wing, which gave a 38" swing when I was working it.

C&C Always welcome...Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: A bowl, a wing, a foot and a leg.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »
Les,

I think it is safe to say that is a clever piece of work from a very awkward slice of burr to a fairly tight set of specifications.

A great result, we can only imagine that the person ordering it will be as pleased as the eventual recipient.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:28:23 PM »
Well thank you, Bryan. I appreciate that!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »
Well Les my guessing is that took a bit of turning.

The end result is something special, I'm sure your customer will be more than happy.

All the best

Ed

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
You have done an excellent job turning that piece. Nice to see a design that's a bit out of left field, gives cause for thought with our own turning.
Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
Les Well done, I like this a lot, what I do like is a move away from a "normal" foot to something as Tony says, is a bit left field. I also like the hit and miss bead and cove. The finish looks to be pretty good too.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »

You seem to have made a lot out of a difficult piece of wood Les.... The black sets it off very well.
  Kind Regards  Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 03:19:38 PM »
Sounds like you managed everything that was wanted all in this piece. Very nice indeed

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
Very nice indeed.
Bet that made a nice swishing sound as it went round!
Duncan