Author Topic: More subjective stock (spelled correctly this time LOL)  (Read 3002 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
More subjective stock (spelled correctly this time LOL)
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:41:30 AM »
Another batch of ikebana vases. Got a few more to dress sbut won't bore you with them all. Possibly the last of these for the moment, time to concentrate on some other items

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: More subjective stock (spelled correctly this time LOL)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:55:03 AM »
Pete I think these are very well presented. They say that good presentation is 50% of the sale, if that is true I daresay these won't be around for long.The middle one is my favourite.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »
Thanks John. We have foud that as you say presenting is a big part of selling at shows. Just glad I have someone with experience init on my side LOL. As I said in the first post on their own they don't necessarily look like much and invoke the usual 'What's it for' questions at shows. Even bowls sell better with fruit or chocolates in them. Candlesticks need candles in them etc. Whole area of discussion there I suspect.

Pete

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
When at shows with wood being such a tactile medium does the handling of items cause any problems?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
Three more great pieces and well presented as BHT has stated. I have some bud vases and put a single flower in them as you say it lets people see what something is for then the only things that need explaining are the arty type pieces.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
We encourage people to handle as the tactile aspect of wood is a good selling point and with that in mind either use pure carnauba wax or microcrystalline both of which can take the handling. For the ikebana ones I prefer the microcrystalline as it is also water repellant. I have found that the general public aren't too keen on oiled finishes except on foody things such as salad bowls mortar and pestles etc and lacquers tend to give more of a plastic look which again doesn't appeal to many.

Often get asked what is it for with arty pieces, usual (polite) answer is 'for enhancing your living environment.'

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »

Often get asked what is it for with arty pieces, usual (polite) answer is 'for enhancing your living environment.'

Pete

I will have to remember that answer it is great I still bet that some will give a blank look even after you tell them that

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 11:46:32 AM »
Worst was when I had a burr oak natural edge bowl.The wife loved it and turned to the husband who said and I quote, ' Why pay for a lump of rubbish wood you can pick up off the roadside?' and walked off. The wife looked at us apologised and meekly followed him. A good excercise in self restraint.

Pete

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 01:28:13 PM »
Of course there can always be a bit of humour in these situations. I remember taking part in a local show with members of a woodtuning club, we were making spinning tops and giving (yes I know) them away to the kids. We did a bit of showboating, competing with each other to turn them the quickest or most colours or odd shape or whatever, but once parted off we always spun them up to prove they worked with a cheeery"there you are then". My mate worked very hard on one particular top with a difficult piece of wood which was essentially one big knot and at the end spun it up infront of one young boy who promptly retorted "I don't want your rubbish"!!! and walked away. You can imagine that most of us were in hysterics. No restraint needed  that time just surgical supports! ;D ;D ;D

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »

With John on these Pete .... Presentation can make a big difference from a selling point of view, nice touch .
   Kind Regards Tony di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
I can see people all walking around with these at Wisley  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »
Thank you Ed. Hope you're right LOL

Pete

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
I can see people all walking around with these at Wisley  :)

All the best

Ed
Actually Pete I can see some of the flower growers buying them to show off their flowers.(and although I am not a gardening expert, I think they would do that very well). Could be a new market for you.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »
Could be John. Might be worth looking into.

Pete