Author Topic: Gift voucher  (Read 3193 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Gift voucher
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
I still have some gift vouchers for Yandles left over from Christmas, I thought I might buy a set of 8" cole jaws. Can anyone tell me if the Charnwood range will fit Nova chucks? I don't think Yandles do Nova do they?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Gift voucher
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
John,

Yes. The Charnwood range fit SuperNova, Sorby Patriot, Vicmark, the big Toolpost Versachuck and the cheap Chinese chucks (based on the vicmark anyway).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
I had a set of Charnwood cole jaws. They did the job but they are poorly finished, not very accurate, and the buttons are awful.
Better to go with the RP ones in my view.
Duncan

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »
Thank you Bryan and Duncan. I take on board what you say about the quality of Charnwood stuff but to be honest whatever tooling I buy these days I usually end up doing a bit of fettling before using them, such is the way of the world these days. All I need is a set of cole jaws that I can use on my small Axminster 330. I do have a big set that I use on the Graduate but they are too big for my small lathe.
   I have several sets of buttons that I have made over the years so that is not a problem. I have been using the  faceplate method to turn off the feet and that is fine for me but when I am teaching (and I now sometimes need both lathes going) it is safer to use a "captive" method.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:29:27 PM »
I found myself in a shop downtown some time ago. They sell Kites, Skateboards and the like.

I noticed a box of what i took to be Cole Jaw buttons and asked about them. They said they were left over bump stops from when they fit new wheel sets. I managed to by 8 (a jaws set) for a couple of pounds, they are made of silicone and happy to take a 6mm bolt through them.

Seamed like a good buy at the time, but have not worn out or damaged my originals yet so must admit to not having used them. They are put away in a 'safe place' for the day i need them (we all know what that means though!)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:57 PM »
I found myself in a shop downtown some time ago. They sell Kites, Skateboards and the like.

I noticed a box of what i took to be Cole Jaw buttons and asked about them. They said they were left over bump stops from when they fit new wheel sets. I managed to by 8 (a jaws set) for a couple of pounds, they are made of silicone and happy to take a 6mm bolt through them.

Seamed like a good buy at the time, but have not worn out or damaged my originals yet so must admit to not having used them. They are put away in a 'safe place' for the day i need them (we all know what that means though!)

In other words lost in the bowels of the workshop never to be seen again I have safe places like that and mine is only a small shed

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
So I finally managed to get to Yandles today to buy these jaws. As Duncan pointed out they are not machined (IMHO)to a very high standard, however I decided that buying them with the intention of having to fettle somewhat was still easier than making a set.
   I found that the stand up circle on the back of the 4 plates together was to big. The diameter was only just to big but it also looked as if the inside diameter was a bit out too, bearing in mind that they were out with my oneway chucks but were made to fit the Charnwood brand so probably would have fitted them better.
  I thought the steel plates may have been of an inferior quality so I bolted them onto my Axminster Cole jaws and tried turning them down with a HSS tool. Not very successful, if I had a Tungsten Carbide tool this method would have worked perfectly. In the abscence of such tool I resorted to using a Dremel with a diamond disc and just grinding the steel away, it didn't need much. These jaws do not come with scews for fitting to the chuck and my ones were a little bit too short despite making the counter sink a little deeper so a trip to the industrial estate and I had new countersunk machine screws which happened to be too long! So I cut them all down to the right length.Once again I agree with Duncan about the buttons, not very good at all but like him I have several sets of different sizes and the thread is the same. On trying it out, by this time it was late afternoon, they appeared to work fine, I turned the bottom off of a 6" bowl no problem at all. I may look for material to make a decent set of buttons specifically for this chuck just so that I don't forget them when demonstrating. Overall quite happy with my little purchase.

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »
One of our club members made buttons using a bolt through a wine bottle cork. I have a set from him and they fit on my Nova large plate jaws.

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
Hi Fred, I am thinking along similar lines, I am going to nip up the home brew shop and get some demijohn bungs with holes. They have a slight taper on them which is quite handy and you can cut them in half and have 2 sets of slightly different diameters,

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »
So I have been preparing for a demonstration later on this week and in between waits for glue to dryand cast pewter to cool down I nipped up to the home brew shop. They had some demijohn bungs with a hole down the middle.  The screws needed to hold the buttons on are 6mm diameter and the hole in the middle of the bung was 8mm. I happened to have some 8mm tube so after cutting the bungs to length which effectively gave me 2 sets of buttons I cut the tube just short of the button length so that there is a bit of compression when they are tightened up. Works an absolute dream.

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:45:23 PM »
Hi I made a set of Cole jaws years ago and “made” 2sets of buttons one from home brew bungs the other set was smaller from door stops (the type you screw to the floor) sorry it’s so long ago I can’t remember where I got them from  ??? They won’t have cost a lot as I was skint after buying the wood jaw plates for the chuck!
Regards John

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »
If you want something a bit smaller than demijohn bungs then you could use test tube bungs, the ones that I used were either for the 1" tubes and the 1/2" tubes.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 10:42:11 PM »
Thanks Julian I never thought of that, ::) Doh!! I will look at getting some ready for next time.

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
I hope I am not boring you with this thread but as I demonstrate odd bowl bits to people I collected almost a dozen part turned (or should that be unfinished) bowls. So over the weekend and to give the new cole type jaws a real test I finish turning all of them. A bit of a double or triple edged sword really, I finished the bowls so have not wasted the wood, it has given the jaws a test under production conditions (although I don't make many bowls when I do I make loads all at the same time) and to top it all I now have an extra dozen bowls to sell.
All in all I am very pleased with the new jaws, they are easier and quicker to use for small bowls than the large jaws and they are behaving exactly as I wanted them to. An excercise worth doing. The new buttons are brilliant too.
This is the end of this thread.