Author Topic: Two straight from the workshop  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Two straight from the workshop
« on: February 09, 2018, 02:17:15 PM »
Two pieces straight out of the workshop within the last hour.
Both of these are really just experiments
The little pot with the slots running up and down was finished with copper paint which did dry very shiny but when I put a finish on it went matt in colour as the finish was a satin finish. The outside I used the pyrography machine to apply the texture and then ebonising spray followed by a misting of Golden acrylic interference paint in blue.
The second piece with the ripples was from a tutorial of ripple surface effect by Dennis Gooding on another site his was a random ripple and he got a 50% success rate so I was pretty pleased to have managed to complete this on my first but then I did cheat to get mine to ripple and in a more uniform way
I know there are faults but even then C & C welcome as always

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Two straight from the workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »
I like the first form. If I was being picky (which I'm not) I'd say the pyro work right up to the edge of the slots gives an untidy edge to them. But if you did not take the pyro to the edge, it would almost certainly look equally wrong.

Not so sure about the second forms shape. but noting they are both experiments, I'll give them the thumbs up, I always like experiments.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »
I like the first form. If I was being picky (which I'm not) I'd say the pyro work right up to the edge of the slots gives an untidy edge to them. But if you did not take the pyro to the edge, it would almost certainly look equally wrong.

Not so sure about the second forms shape. but noting they are both experiments, I'll give them the thumbs up, I always like experiments.

Fault with the first one is that the form was too thin if it had been that little thicker I would not have had that problem.

Due to having only done this for the first time I kept the form simple once I have done this two or three times I will start to experiment with different forms. It does however make a nice pencil pot and has already been taken for that use

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 06:05:09 AM »
Hi Derek

I like the shape on the first one also. I've found with the pyro texturing the wood needs to be around 5-6mm thick to keep a cleaner edge.
Looking at the texturing, there are quite a few flat spots. When I do this work I use high magnification glasses to help reduce this.

The second I'm also not over keen on the shape, but the effect is something else  :) In fact out of the two piece's I'm voting for the second one! Due to the ripple.

I could see the second one working with the pyro texturing and all sorts of things.

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
Thank you Ed I quite agree about the thickness of the little vase as can be seen from some of the edges. The second one was going to be painted but someone saw it and liked it in natural wood.
As for the shape I chose this simple straight sided form just to try the ripple effect so a pencil pot it became and it has already gone to it's new home with a very happy customer
As these were just experiments I guessed that when I started either for total failure or even some problems but was happy with the second one even if it was a very straight looking form.
I posted just to see what feed back I would get on them in case I had missed something

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »

The 2nd one is the favourite Derek  not keen on the shape though... But the concept is amazing and can see it
  can be applied to many designs..... well done
  Kind Regards Tony di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »

The 2nd one is the favourite Derek  not keen on the shape though... But the concept is amazing and can see it
  can be applied to many designs..... well done
  Kind Regards Tony di

Thank you

Have a read of THIS his are a much better shape than mine but now I have done it once I will experiment with different shapes

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »

Thanks for the link Derek ... Very Interesting.
    Regards Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »
I like what you have done in your second picture Derek, I'm not liking the shape of it but the wave effect shows a lot of potential for future projects. Les