Author Topic: Nova DVR 3000 on that web site  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Nova DVR 3000 on that web site
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Nova DVR  3000 listed as a BIN , not working , Avoid at all cost , I  had one and it failed , tried everything to get it working ,They have complex digital motors ,  ended up taking it to the local council tip

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Nova DVR 3000 on that web site
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 12:08:07 AM »
If they are sold as new, presumably there should be a guarantee?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:06:52 AM »

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:42:49 AM »
I think they were made by Technotool a Canadian company
From New Zealand I think.

Now marked as sold.
Possibly a bargain if you have enough knowledge of the electrics to repair it, but, as you say, maybe uneconomic if you need specific parts from Teknatool.
It might also be worth something as spares, but not £360 IMHO.

For me I wouldn't buy any lathe with that sort of speed control interface. A simple dial is far easier to use and will be more reliable in the long term.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »
It was sold as used and as faulty so I guess you get what you pay for! The seller appears to have been honest about the condition.

I'm not sure if the one you bought had a different description and you were mislead? If so, perhaps you should either contact the seller or the site it sold on to see if their customer services are prepared to step in.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:11:29 AM »
I'm not sure if the one you bought had a different description and you were mislead? If so, perhaps you should either contact the seller or the site it sold on to see if their customer services are prepared to step in.
I think the point Woodspinner was making is that parts for this particular brand and style of lathe are expensive and difficult to source.

Most lathes use relatively standard, hence cheap, industrial motors and control systems that can be easily replaced, even with non-OEM parts. The direct drive Nova DVR lathes use bespoke motors and control systems.  Teknatool haven't had the best reputation for after sales service in the past, so a component failure may leave you with an expensive lump that can't be repaired.

Maybe good when they work, but when they stop..............

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 11:31:43 PM »
It was sold as used and as faulty so I guess you get what you pay for! The seller appears to have been honest about the condition.

The one I purchased was sold as " Needing to push the start button a bit harder , maybe a dirty contact " This was years ago now , Just a warning that its cheaper to buy a new lathe than spend good money buying a replacement motor and control unit only to find it going faulty in a few years time

Offline duncanh

• iron
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:43:07 PM »
I used to have one and it worked fairly well until the control board shorted when it was out of warranty. The only fix was to replace the board, which was ordered from Record (the UK dealer at the time) who had to get one specially from New Zealand. Can't remember the cost, but it was several £100. This was for the origianl DVR (which this is) and they didn't make boards for them so I had to have a board for the DVR XP. It didn't quite fit so I had to cut away a blank part of the board and struggle to fit it myself.
Even when it was up and running again (with the nice new 5 stored speeds, which wasn't a feature of the original) it never worked as well as previously, with less torque and much easier to stall. Record and Teknatool were useless in helping and Teknatool said the change in torque wasn't possible despite myself and other reporting the issue.
The teknology is great whilst it works but when it breaks it's a real pain. I'd avoid their products at all costs.

They also changed the bed design on the new lathe so this ebay item might be a good buy for someone who wants a compatible bed extension or maybe wants to play around with having a parallel separate bed and tool rest for large turnings.

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
If they are sold as new, presumably there should be a guarantee?

I know that everyone is now clear that the Nova is from NZ and is in user-for-repair condition. But for everyone's awareness re. Paul's comment of "new therefore guaranteed" - I've had a couple of item bought as "Brand New in Box with Tags" where I've contacted the manufacturing during the warranty period and they have declined because (even though it was new) it was sold via Ebay so they wouldn't honour the warranty.

My understanding (and I'm not an expert) is that in the first instance you legal relationship is with the seller (i.e. the Ebay seller - many of whom state "No Returns") who must satisfy the normal Consumer Rights (dale of Goods Act) standards (As described; merchantable quality; etc) and Ebay/Paypal in effect underwrites (i.e. enforces these).   Normally - legally you have no direct claim on the manufacturer. Rather you buyer from a Retailer; who in turns has bought from the Manufacturer - it is the retailer who has a legal contractual relationship with the manufacturer and when the manufacturer gets involved in warranty repairs they are, from a legal position, acting on behalf of the retailer (you bought from)  as their agent. Similar if the manufacturer has offered the retailer a warranty that is superior to the legal minimum (i.e. the consumer rights act) then the retailer confers those benefits to you when you buy from them. But as soon the it is retailed via Ebay they can opt not to.

So the short message is beware buying "new" stuff on Ebay because it is unlikely to have a manufacturers warranty (some do of course - especially business who value their brand's reputation).  Buying from Ebay can still be a good idea; but only as long as the discount on normal retail is sufficient to reflect the risk of no warranty.
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
According to the sale of goods act, something sold as new must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose and if not, the buyer is entitled to a replacement, repair or refund. If sold at auction under specific conditions that may not apply so I suggest make sure what you are buying. Your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer but the auction site or the payment processor may offer some protection depending on the terms of the sale.