Author Topic: My latest blog  (Read 9335 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
My latest blog
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »
My latest blog has just been published on my woodturning web-site. You can read it here http://www.prenturners.co.uk/ by scrolling down the home-page a short way, or you can go directly to it, here...http://www.prenturners.co.uk/2018/01/28/a-new-venture-up-and-running-blog-15/.
C&C always appreciated....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
Re: My latest blog
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
The direct link does not work for me. Could be me but it may be worth checking.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »
Could be you, works OK here.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
The direct link does not work for me. Could be me but it may be worth checking.
...I think perhaps it is a problem at your end...both links working perfectly from here.
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 02:48:40 PM »
Gwyntog,  I'm getting the below for both Here and on the bookmark link to Pren.

http://www.prenturners.co.uk/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

Cheers Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
Me too I'm afraid ! :o
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
Regretfully I have paid an extremely dodgy local business to build my website and to provide its domain name for a 5 year period. There have been ongoing problems throughout the last year and about 10 days ago, when the site was exactly 1 year old, the web designer failed to make an annual payment for the domain name, so my site has been shut down. Full details of the case ( and of at least one other local business having the same trouble) have been sent to Nominet, and they have now intervened. I understand that the name of the person who is registered as the owner of the site is about to be transferred away from the web-designer and over to me, so I'll get full control of the site for the first time.
Meanwhile, that annoying message will keep popping up.
Les

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 07:28:52 AM »
That's bad Les.

Over the years I have had some very large websites built and sadly have run in to many problems with web companies. Each build taught me the next set of problems to look out for.

By and large you need full control once built and don't make the finial payment until you have control.

I hope that you get it all sorted out.

All the best

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »
This is (unfortunately) a quite typical thing for a nascent industry: loads of black sheep. You have my sympathy. If you need any help with your website, I'd be glad to help out. I run my own server, and I have space for a few more sites, but obviously there are technology limits (it's a linux server, so cannot host asp.net sites).

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
This is (unfortunately) a quite typical thing for a nascent industry: loads of black sheep. You have my sympathy. If you need any help with your website, I'd be glad to help out. I run my own server, and I have space for a few more sites, but obviously there are technology limits (it's a linux server, so cannot host asp.net sites).
...many thanks, Wolfgang, for the kind offer, that is much appreciated. Things appear to be in hand, but I will contact you if I need any further help.
Les

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 04:01:01 AM »
Les

I hope this gets sorted out for you.

I don't want to be the harbinger of problems; but you mention Nominet are in the process of re-assigning the prenturners.co.uk domain name to you - excellent - that is a start  domain names, in particular .co.uk are relatively cheap - typically £10/year max.

But this is just an address and I suspect a tiny part of what you've paid the web company to do for you - if they have developed and/or set up a website for you I hope you personally have a backup of all of the content (your words and photos) plus any custom website functionality you have paid for (programs etc). So whilst Nominet can get you control of your address back; they do not oversee the areas of a website that normally makes up 99% of a websites cost - the content and the structure of your website. Hope you have a back up; if not then hopefully your previous WebCo will have the decency to give you a back up.  Good Luck
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 05:34:01 AM »
Les

I hope this gets sorted out for you.

I don't want to be the harbinger of problems; but you mention Nominet are in the process of re-assigning the prenturners.co.uk domain name to you - excellent - that is a start  domain names, in particular .co.uk are relatively cheap - typically £10/year max.

But this is just an address and I suspect a tiny part of what you've paid the web company to do for you - if they have developed and/or set up a website for you I hope you personally have a backup of all of the content (your words and photos) plus any custom website functionality you have paid for (programs etc). So whilst Nominet can get you control of your address back; they do not oversee the areas of a website that normally makes up 99% of a websites cost - the content and the structure of your website. Hope you have a back up; if not then hopefully your previous WebCo will have the decency to give you a back up.  Good Luck
Regretfully, this appears to be a seriously corrupt business that I'm dealing with. Throughout the year that my web site was functioning, they refused to help in any way with updates, with correcting any mistakes in the site (like wrong phone numbers etc etc), and they ignored requests for a back up copy of the files/data. They have complied with Nominet's instruction to release the domain names, but in some grand gesture of defiance (or perhaps of spite, or revenge) they then pulled the plug on my site.
Legal action would seem obvious, but both my solicitor and my accountant have looked into the background of the business I'm dealing with and advise strongly against legal action.That might sound odd, but when you consider that a couple of local small business like mine, each challenged this dodgy outfit and curiously, the same thing happened to each of us the very next day.....all our business archives of emails just got wiped and the passwords for the email accounts were reset back to what they were when we first bought the web sites/email addresses. Was it simply coincidence.....I very much doubt it! So we're left with a domain name and nothing else.
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »

Les,  It's a sad note to find a local business can rip off other small businesses that can't afford the loss and have placed their trust in them.

So disappointing, as with your blogs alone, you were building such an informative and interesting read. In such a short time you've come along way and it was so nice to be able to travel that path with you... ramblings of a Welsh Turner - from the Workshop ! ... bit like Bill Jones had done.

I can't but hope that in the near future you'll be able to write the blogs again, yet it's never the same to write, as within the very moment of the event itself when it's so fresh to mind.

Very best regards,  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 09:27:15 PM »
Diolch Dewi....good to see that you're still keeping in touch with the forum. I'm sure that we'll find a way to reinstate the blogs one day soon!
Les

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »
Hi Les,  I have to say in fairness to the guy that did your site that he did (in my view) an excellent job of it. It was well laid out and presented and easy to use and contained all the information and pictures needed for a professional site. It is very sad that his business sense didn't exist, I would imagine that you still have the content of the site on your HDD somewhere so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to sign up with another more professional hosting site (I use TSOhost) and be back on air quite quickly. A man with you talents and artistic mind will be able to find your way around wordpress very quickly I would have thought especially if you know which template he used. I wish you good speed Les and hope it's sorted soon.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian