Author Topic: A big thank you to John  (Read 2636 times)

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
A big thank you to John
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:37:16 PM »
I spent a couple of hours with John, the bowler hatted turner, this morning getting a few tips on sharpening my tools. Probably the most worthwhile time I have spent in many a year. My turning experience has taken a great step forward. You can't beat seeing how it's done properly. Thanks for the help and the coffee.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: A big thank you to John
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »
Kev it was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for the wood.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
As the saying goes, "If you want to know how to do something, ask a man who can"

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »
Great to hear that you both had a great time and that it has helped you with one of the many thinks in woodturning.

As the saying goes, "If you want to know how to do something, ask a man who can"

Les

In that case don't ask me ;D ;D ;D Just had a hour or so sharpening tools after today's episode like to leave them so I can just pick them up ready for the next turning, nothing worse than having to sharpen before starting a project

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »
Great to hear that you both had a great time and that it has helped you with one of the many thinks in woodturning.

Les

In that case don't ask me ;D ;D ;D Just had a hour or so sharpening tools after today's episode like to leave them so I can just pick them up ready for the next turning, nothing worse than having to sharpen before starting a project
Derek what you have to think about is how fine the newly applied edge on a tool is and how easy it is for that edge to oxidize. You are better off sharpening a tool just before you use it and then continue to refresh the edge regularly during use.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:29:26 PM »
Got a sorby Deluxe Universal Sharpening System and set it up today. Apart from my grinding wheel being a bit coarse it has made a world of difference. Still not sharpening up to Johns standard but 100% better. Thanks for the tip.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.