Author Topic: Combination locking box  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
Combination locking box
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »
The June Revolutions featured a combination locking box. Unfortunately I got into a mess with it the first time but have had a second go and with some adjustments to the sizings and a few shortcuts I have finally got it to work!! Height 65mm x 50mm dia.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Combination locking box
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »
This does look very poorly finished the joints look very rough and the lettering looks poorly applied.
This is a good idea poorly executed

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
Thanks for your comments George. As I said my first attempt was somewhat thwarted by the measurements provided in Revolutions. This second attempt was posted in the hope of pulling some comments - unlike my first post on the issue - last July -  did not! Lettering is a minor issue which will be put right.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »
It is not the letteringthat is a small issue.
It it how rough the joints are the picture does not let us have good look but from what I see it is very poor.
You must be able to see that
Maybe I am seeing something that you arent seeing.
This pic is what I see .

Regards George
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:15:07 PM by GBF »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
Hold the control key down and scroll to enlarge the image and you can see what George is pointing out.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:28:20 PM »

Dave, I must agree with George & Pete I don't know how long you have been turning looking at the finish using Pete's advice it is very

poor and ragged if you are new to turning I suggest you start with the basics.

Regards John 

John Smith

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:49:28 PM »
Dave, I think it is not a bad effort for a first time around, but there are definitely some lessons to be learned.
  • The lettering: it appears this was made using some kind of tape based lettering machine (like a dymo). Not a bad choice, but you do need to use a lot of care when applying the lettering to the elements of the box. In your case there are places where there are wrinkles, and that stands out like a sore finger. In addition, the wrinkles then also disturb the symmetry of the rings.
  • Boxes like this really live from the repetitive precision of all the lettering rings. This has to be almost machine like, otherwise it looks amateurish.
  • Material choice: You've picked purpleheart for the end pieces and oak for all the other ones. As far as I am concerned, these are two bad choices. Both woods are open grained and will give you trouble when trying to get a really nice, sharp edge on end grain. It can be done, but it does require high speed, sharp tools and a steady hand. There are good reasons why this sort of box is usually made from closed grain woods. Any fruit wood (apple, pear, damson, cherry, etc.) or things like box or hornbeam are much better choices. If you have easy access to tropical hardwoods, use rosewood, blackwood, etc, but avoid purpleheart or padauk. Other good options are walnut, any of the maple species, beech.
  • Finish: To me it looks like there was quite a bit of sanding done, which is not surprising given the choice materials. However, this will almost always result in a rounding of the corners, again contributing to a washed out appearance. For a box like this, you really need to get your turning to the point where you can start sanding at 240grit. With that you will stand a much better chance of retaining sharp edges.

I hope this gives you something to think about and then try again. And remember that nobody was born a master, we all had to learn by doing. And all of us here will readily admit (I hope) that we are still learning every day.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:26:37 AM »
Great constructive critique` from Fuzzy. Don't give up or be disheartened we have all been there (more than once) it was a complicated project to take on, but it has given you some great learning opportunities, especially with selection on timber for a particular project, I have had a similar experience recently trying to embed timber into resin, the timber I used (because I had it already) was very unsuitable resulting in an expensive bin full of bits, we all learn as we go and never stop.
Great effort have another go and show us the results.

S.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 09:14:50 AM »
Thank you for the many constructive comments.
I have been turning as a hobby for 7 years normally keeping to bowls and platters with the occasional box(pet urns!).
First time that I have put my head above the parapet in this group with a picture of my work. Perhaps the challenge was too great - the choice of wood not right, (unknown close grained hardwood forms the rings (not oak). Yes, not accurate enough - it does need a 'machine' type finish but at the end of the day the box actually works which was my real aim. I'm sure the members of the local club I belong to will be equally critical at our next meeting.
When I have a few hours to spare and nothing else to do I might look at it again but doubtful that I shall bother to try to make another.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »
Dave I applaud your making of this. I ocassionally do segmented turning and something like your box I would equate to that. I know that others here have highlighted one or two problems but I think the effort you have put in is very good. I do wonder if you should look at the lighting in your workshop, after turning for 7 years you will have the skills to make this box so there may be another reason why the end product is not as good as you would wish it. I had a similar problem and now have various magnifying glasses and my workshop looks like the illuminations from a norther holiday town by the sea.
Just a thought.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »

First time that I have put my head above the parapet in this group with a picture of my work.
When I have a few hours to spare and nothing else to do I might look at it again but doubtful that I shall bother to try to make another.
Oh dear and you didn’t even ask for criticism. 
This post was rescued for you by fuzzyturns with an exceptional piece of constructive critique. Well done fuzzy.
Don’t be bullied from posting. Be prepared to receive some knocks and ignore unconstructive comments. If your are really offended then take up the issue with the moderators - it’s been done before. AWGB promotes itself as an education driven organisation promoting highest standards and that should include critique on this forum
I look forward to your next post
Kind regards Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
I am sure noone was criticising to be destructive. What you have achieved is commendable. Certainly don't give up. The idea is to point out how you can do better not to wreck confidence. I have lost count of the things I have made that I was really pleased with at first in the workshop then saw it in a better light or perhaps when someone else looked at it and saw the faults or areas where I could do better. If you are able to make something like this that works it is well worth the extra effort to aim for better quality. Sometimes critique comes across harder here online than when said face to face.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
 I agree with Pete that sometimes comments on the forum don't come across the way they were intended .We need different little smiley face things. How can we show that the expression on our face is a helpful one and that we have an arm around a shoulder when we are talking about another person's work? I don't think any on this forum set out to make destructive comments and we do have the agreement that if we can't say anything nice then say nothing at all but that does not help the other person. Also, surely at the end of the day honesty is the best policy, I would prefer honest comments that would help me to improve rather than everyone saying how nice an article is when in fact it is a heap of s***. And no one has said that. It's a  bit like my old school reports..... works very hard but could do better! ::)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
My feelings are if you dont want comments or critique then maybe you should not put things on an open forum.
As far as I can see Dave has not complained just somebody else moaning on his behalf.
Grown men being bullied and having hurt feelings what is this country comming too.

Regards George

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 04:58:44 PM »
Have a look at Carl Jacobson's youtube channel. he has made on of these. It might help

Fred Taylor
Orchard-woodturners.org.uk