Author Topic: Clean your bottom  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Clean your bottom
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
When turning off the tenon off the bottom of bowls would you even think of using this gadget. Personally it is an item that would spend more time in a draw gathering dust rather than being used.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Clean your bottom
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
Are they serious if that was to spin it would be horrendous

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:43:41 AM »
Are they serious if that was to spin it would be horrendous

Regards George

That was something I thought about it would need some sort of support to prevent that happening. As wall as that how good is the bearing and another thing for me the access seems to be very restricted

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »
I agree with George, if it wasn’t so dangerous it would funny!
Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
One of the "two" customer reviews states it replaces a vacuum chuck.......... Not in my workshop it looks a liability to me. The access is very limited I cannot see what you would achieve over and above the usual methods of rechucking or the many home made supports and tail stock gismos?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
Apart from the risk of losing a finger after the bearing failed, looking at that video, the first bowl had a crack all the way across it which looked dangerous, the second hollow form being held between a tennis ball and the tailstock gadget looked very dubious (no wonder they didn't show it spinning!) and the guy doing the turning was only wearing ordinary spectacles. It looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »
Seems to be an answer to a problem few turners have, especially as it's too small to be much use.

I don't see it as being particularly dangerous though. As long as the morse taper is well engaged and it's not pressed so hard into the work piece that it would grab more than the MT, it shouldn't start to rotate. We routinely put more torque onto MT drill chucks without them coming loose.
Shall we mention how terrible the quality of the welding looks ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »
The whole presentation looked poor, from the less-than-expert tool technique to the way that the whole lathe wobbled when items were inserted into or removed from the chuck, to say nothing of the poor construction. Also, it gives the impression that the demonstrator is not really a woodturner, but just believes that he's found a niche market for his gadget.
However, haven't we seen something like this on this forum before? I know that I've seen it somewhere and have a feeling that it was here, three or four years ago.  ???
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
I saw a video of this in use somewhere and cringed. Apart from the H&S dangers it is a total waste of money and unnecessary as there are a number of better and safer ways of removing or reducing the tenon that don't cost money.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:07:04 PM »
The first thing I thought of, like George, was what would happen if the whole thing were to spin with a hand placed inside it. That does not bear thinking of. The bearing looked similar to the ones you get on a lazy susan and as they are an open bearing they clog up very easily.
Chisel choice is a bit dubious although I do sometimes use a spindle gouge the bowl gouge would surely be the best choice. What is wrong with using a live centre and reducing the chucking point to a small cone, switching off the lathe and removing the last little bit which would only be a maximum of 2 or 3 mm across?
 The other thing is the bowl in the video is mounted in cole type jaws which should be sufficient to hold the bowl securely anyway negating the need completely for "the gadget".
I do despair at times, people are not taking the time to learn their tradecraft as we did years ago, they want instant gratification for minimum effort and that will only ever give poor results. If the guy demonstrating "the gadget" worked for me I would sack him and whoever hired him in the first place.

Offline Jon Whateley

• iron
    • Prokraft woodworking & woodturning supplies
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
Is it me or did the bottom of the bowls look better before they were attacked with the adapted post-digging tool?

I think Mr Heath and Mr Robinson have invested in a welder looking at the joints.
Jon @ Prokraft

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 10:55:58 PM »
I just had a look and its not 1st April  :o

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »
Hmm , yeah, well I guess some folk will find a use for it. But I have  'stuff' in my shed and as mentioned if it moved....