Author Topic: earring stand.  (Read 2283 times)

Offline wider

• gold
earring stand.
« on: January 15, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »
I have been asked to turn a few earring stands so here is one of them. it is to take butterfly earing clasped earrings. the oak has been lime finished and then used Hampshire sheen finish on it. the stand is 5x4 in size. all comments welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: earring stand.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »
Sorry to be negative, Dennis, but there's a couple of issues with this that stand out. Firstly, the drilling of the holes for the studs is very random, which spoils the overall effect of a well turned piece. Secondly, there's the joint between the column and the base, which looks a bit gappy. They're each minor issues, but they really do detract from what could otherwise be an attractive piece.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »
Do you have indexing on your lathe? Usually 24 points. Use those to position the holes for the ear ring stands. Also if you make the holes larger, about 3mm you can use them for a single stud or a pair of hook rings doubling the capacity. When I make these I also have a finial on the top that can be used as a ring stand and the base with a shallow bowl for the other odds and sods that the ladies always seem to have.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
thank you for the comments. the hole size i have done will take the loop earrings as well. i agree about the holes being a bit out of position. i have tried the indexer on my lathe but it has been damaged before i got it unfortunately. so i had to mark them out and do it by hand. the spindle moved when i was gluing it up with supper glue and activator. tried to get it apart but no go. i normally do the stands with the bowl at the bottom but decided on a change for this one. here are A few of the others i have made.
dennis

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:58:36 PM »
If the indexer on your lathe is damaged or not working you can make your own for next to nothing. Go to the tools and tips section on this sight and look back to April 2014 to a post i made there. It shows how to make an index ring using an old timing belt and an MDF disc. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
When gluing this type of turning I use wood glue which gives the opportunity to get it right.
Not sure how long lasting superglue is.

F Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »
Super glue can go brittle with age and the joint can fail. OK for small joints but not recommended for anything that is likely to have any strain on it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »
I picked up on the same 2 things les (Gwyntog) did, but I have to say I like the idea of placing the hanging holes through the rim that way. I think that would work better for the earring drop hooks.

I'll use this idea next time I make some.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!