Author Topic: Raised platter  (Read 5914 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Raised platter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 10:53:36 PM »
An hour. Wow.
The main dish is 15" diameter, and perfectly quartersawn out of a slice of an ash tree about 3ft diameter. I got the raw slabs, each between 2" to 6" thick, and dried it myself. I am not sure where you would get a piece of wood like that from, to be honest. The stand is made up of 6 pieces of wood, sawn, sanded, glued together, turned and sanded some more. I'd love to see you do all of this in an hour, clearly I am wasting a lot of time here somewhere.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 07:44:12 AM »
I didn't say I made one like yours in an hour. The ones I make are simpler with just a single stem a base and a platter or bowl top. Also I am making them for shows so make up a few at a time so do  each section seperately and that makes it all a lot quicker. If I was able to make one the same as yours in an hour I would be saying wow as well.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
I thought I had commented on this before (well maybe on another forum) Love the design and thought that has gone into this. workmanship and finish as to be expected from you. Nice job

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 02:36:18 AM »
I Think it lovely , different and imaginative
The stand is a work of art
This should sell for around £100 easy , Some people appreciate quality and are willing to pay for it  ;)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
Saw this in the "flesh" at the West Midlands Club yesterday and it is beautifully made. The top is perfect quarter sawn with a slight ripple.

I wouldn't really class it as a tazza with the top being detachable and can imagine it more as a platter/serving plate on a separate stand as a centre piece at a meal where the platter can be passed round. Being more functional rather than decorative always makes it harder to price.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
Pete's comment about making a tazza in one hour got me going, to be honest. So here's my attempt at doing it. Three pieces of Catalpa, which in fact are all from the same piece (i.e. a bowl blank and two cutoffs from the corners), turned, sanded and glued. No finish, and the sanding probably needs some more work, too. Took me about 75 minutes, which does not include the time for the initial cutting of the blank. And I still have to finish the sanding and put some finish on (probably oil, so this will need 3 coats or more). I am not Les Thorne or Gary Rance, but I do think I am pretty fast, but clearly I still have a way to go.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 05:10:41 PM »
If you make each section to completion including polishing it can be done. Mind I must have made a couple of dozen of them over the years. I do make several at a time so that helps. All the plates, then the bases, all done held on recess then the spindles with tenons that fit the recess.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
If anything like me it is not the turning that takes the time but the changing from one piece to another and the finish Oh yes and the cups of tea in-between each piece I do love a cuppa.

But as Pete said when doing batches it can work out quicker.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 11:29:31 PM »
This works for me and I can see this would not be a five minute job.
Making the legs is a job on it own.
I have got to do a Demo for our club next Tuesday and I have been thinking what to do so i will make one of these and call it a cake stand.
It will not have fancy legs like this.
very well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
A very fine looking piece Fuzzy, for me the stand makes this piece
regards
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »
It has great simplicity to look at it, which I am quite sure belies the amount of work taken to make it.

I see John (BHT) as already commented, but I think this could fulfil his need for a design for a Cake Stand.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!