Author Topic: Beginners Sharpening Setup  (Read 3463 times)

Offline scottwoodburn

• iron
Beginners Sharpening Setup
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:58:50 PM »
Friends,

I’m just beginning my woodturning life and want to put together a basic sharpening setup. I’ve been reading around the forum and want to ask for recommendations on the kit I would need to begin sharpening up my tools. I don’t want to spend much, my good lady wouldn’t like that, so I am on a strict budget. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Beginners Sharpening Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »
I have the Sorby Proedge and love it. Easy to use and setup. This system gives a flat grind to the bevel rather than a slightly concave one you will get with a wheel, and i think that is better but others may not necessarily agree. It is fairly expensive unless you can pick up a used one somewhere. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:04:36 PM »
Scott, I mainly use the Wolverine system on a Record grinder with wide wheels.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:36:57 PM »
I've just bought a Sorby Proedge but fully understand that it might be out of your current budget. However, for the last three years I managed well with a very basic system. A Record 8" bench grinder with a £35 jig bought off eBay set on one wheel, which was fine for sharpening all my gouges, plus a simple, tilt-able platform made from scrap timber; this was used for all scrapers, skews and for the spindle roughing gouge.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:36:44 AM »
A slow speed grinder with the sorby sharpening jig, I have used this for the past 20 years with good repeatable grinds, very quick and easy.

http://www.yandles.co.uk/robert-sorby-447-deluxe-universal-sharpening-system/p5598

Often on Fleabay at good prices.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
Scott I am a professional turner, I do it for a living and turn (and sharpen) every day. My sharpening set up is an old Elu bench grinder, a B&Q bench grinder and a linisher. There is nothing wrong with using a cheap B&Q grinder, it will need to be fettled so that it runs true and balanced. I have the sorby jig for grinding detail gouges but the rest of the chisels sit on home made wooden angled rests. There are a lot of grinders and jigs out there that are just waiting for you to buy them but my advice is learn how to sharpen your tools properly on a sensibly priced grinder and sharpen them regularly. Think about what the turners 1oo years ago had to sharpen their tools and see what they produced. There is a load of rubbish spouted out about using a grinder at this speed or that, use this coloured wheel or that coloured wheel and the wheels need to run in water or be a certain width. All of this was created by the companies that sell grinders, learn the basics and save yourself a fortune.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
Very wise words, guess its like fishing sometimes the gear catches more anglers than fish!!
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »

"my advice is learn how to sharpen your tools properly on a sensibly priced grinder"

agreed, well said john...

Offline scottwoodburn

• iron
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 12:20:26 PM »
Thanks guys. Very helpful reading and advice. Good work!

Scott

Offline Jon Whateley

• iron
    • Prokraft woodworking & woodturning supplies
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
I use an 8" grinder, i made my own wood jig which lasted a while and was OK but wood is not really accurate to set your angles.

In a fit of madness a few years ago I bought a welder to fix some gates, so I decided to buy a few scraps of steel and made my own jig (as the bloke on eBay ignored my message).

The steel bits cost me £6 and I have LOADS left

It is not rocket science, good fun to make and nothing gives you a sense of satisfaction like making you own tools. Any other bits you need like tap & die sets don't need to be expensive and you will use them again (in wood/Corian/acrylic).

If you have a mate who welds or you can borrow a welder even better.

And I must stress I am NOT a welder, never done it before, it looks awful but it works really well. All the bits cut by hand with a hacksaw (hard work).

I just copied some pics of other models.

Tools like taps, dies and welders are an investment in future projects not one-off tool purchases - sell that to the wife!

Let me know if you want a pic (but it's not pretty)
Jon @ Prokraft

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:43:18 AM »
I use an 8" grinder, i made my own wood jig which lasted a while and was OK but wood is not really accurate to set your angles.

In a fit of madness a few years ago I bought a welder to fix some gates, so I decided to buy a few scraps of steel and made my own jig (as the bloke on eBay ignored my message).

The steel bits cost me £6 and I have LOADS left

It is not rocket science, good fun to make and nothing gives you a sense of satisfaction like making you own tools. Any other bits you need like tap & die sets don't need to be expensive and you will use them again (in wood/Corian/acrylic).

If you have a mate who welds or you can borrow a welder even better.

And I must stress I am NOT a welder, never done it before, it looks awful but it works really well. All the bits cut by hand with a hacksaw (hard work).

I just copied some pics of other models.

Tools like taps, dies and welders are an investment in future projects not one-off tool purchases - sell that to the wife!

Let me know if you want a pic (but it's not pretty)

This is good advice if your handy and its way down on cost and it will give repeatable results for many years. I have seen some very good wooden ones as well.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »
"Let me know if you want a pic (but it's not pretty)"
Jon with that teaser we just have to see the picture now!! :D