Author Topic: Vicmarc VL 175 SH Lathe  (Read 11778 times)

Don Donaldson

Vicmarc VL 175 SH Lathe
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:03 AM »
I may be in a position to buy a second hand Vimarc 175 but have had contrasting reports about them. Is there anyone out there who is a proud owner who could give me a run down on their benefits and disadvantages?  I would be replacing a Nova DVR.  Sensible or not?

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Vicmarc VL 175 SH Lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
Hello Don

I have a DVR and apart from the fact you have to wait while it winds up speed wise a little I can't think why I would want to change mine.

I have found a quick way to get back to 500 RPM - hold the off button down, then press the down speed button and then release the off button, followed by the down speed button.  You have to get the timing right but it is sometimes useful. 

I have not heard anything bad about Vicmarc lathes though.

Cheers Dave

GwilymF

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
Hi Don, I've had my Vicmarc 175 SHL since 2002. I bought it whilst in Australia and brought it home with me and it is an excellent lathe. It is a stand model and not the bench mounted version. The outboard attachment is very good and I have a VERMEC indexing attachment fitted which gives indexing from 2 to 288 divisions.  I would thoroughly recomend the 175.
Gwilym 

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
Blimey! Your excess baggage charge must have been enormous!

bob chapman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »
I've had my VL 175 for about ten years and have been more than satisfied with it. When I first got it, it had a 1HP motor and was definitely underpowered. Almost before the dust settled on my cheque, Vicmarc upped the spec to 1.5HP. I did my own upgrade to 2HP (from Speed Genie) and have been more than happy with it. It's superbly engineered and shows every sign of lasting forever.

My only concern, now, is that I hear Phil Irons has dropped Vicmarc and there is nowhere to get spares or various other bits of Vicmarc kit - I may be wrong about this, and if I am please tell me!

Bob

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »
Try this companery. from the Vicmarc site

Dealers for Scotland

Ullapool Woodturning Centre
The Woodturning Centre, Lochbroom
Ullapool, Ross-Shire
Scotland, IV23 2RS
Phone: 01854 655334
Fax: 01854 655334
sales@ullapoolwoodturningcentre.co.uk

www.ullapoolwoodturningcentre.co.uk  

Philip

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »
Hi Bob I think Philip is correct it seems the company in Ullapool is the sole Distributor in the UK.Lets hope they don't vote for independence we will have to pay import duty >:( :) Regards John 
John Smith