Author Topic: Wood worm treatment  (Read 6510 times)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Wood worm treatment
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »

chemicals only kill wood worm on entry or exit , freezing does not kill lower forms of life but puts it into suspended
  animation ( sperm eggs ) microwaves have trouble penetrating to the centre of thick wood it would take a long time of
  on off work to  the inside hot without cracking the outside. The best suggestion is to get a dustbin and wallpaper
  stripper ( steam ) wrap the wood in a wet towel then a bin bag you can leave it in 1hour per inch thick.
  remove bin bag and leave to cool before opening  "  TACK CARE IT IS VERY HOT."
  Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »
I think that I read on here that you can put the wood in a freezer and that will do for them  ;D

I freeze them also, generally for at least a week to make sure it cold right through and they are dead for sure

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
Reading up on some other websites, freezing does seem to be an effective method, but needs to go for at least 7 days. I'd hope that in my case this will work, as the bowl is already turned, so most of the protective bark is gone. I really do not want to dip the entire thing in a chemical.

I freeze anything that has worm holes, just to be sure.

Wrap it in a few layers of cloth, to keep any frost/ice damage at bay and hope that SWMBO does not notice the misappropriation of her bed linen or something strange in the chest freezer?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!