Author Topic: SIP Lathe question  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
SIP Lathe question
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »
Hi Folks,
Complete beginner here. In order to 'test the waters' regarding taking up woodturning as a hobby, I bought a secondhand SIP lathe (Model 01360 10-speed) and some second hand tools. I didn't pay a lot for it, on the basis that I could probably get the money back if I wanted to re-sell it. However, the bug has bitten and I am quite sure I will be enjoying my woodturning for years to come :)
I have a few questions and would really appreciate some advice.
(1) The speed is regulated by a lever. The manual says to start and stop the lathe in the lowest speed. This is fine but I find the level very stiff when I try to increase the speed from the lowest setting; it takes a fair bit of hand strength to get it up to the number '5' speed setting. Anybody know why that should be?
(2) I have only turned a couple of small pieces so far but the pieces seem to vibrate beyond the point where I have turned it to a preliminary circular shape, i.e. it should be concentric in shape and weight and presumably should not be unbalanced. I know the frame of the SIP is light, so I weighed it down with about 20 bricks, but it hasn't eliminated the vibration, is it likely that bearings are worn? Maybe I should just add more bricks?
(3) if it's not too silly a question, do lathes need to be serviced?
Thanks in advance,
Mike.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:37:24 PM by Mike313 »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: SIP Lathe question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »
Hello Mike

These lathes need oiling ocasionaly, from memory you remove a cover at the back and there is a shaft you oil.What is important you do not move the lever when the lathe is stopped always make sure it is turning when you ajust the speed.
you need to turn quite slowly to get the piece into balance and then slowly build the speed.
Try using small blanks until you gain some experiance they are less likely to vibrate.
Where do you live

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »
Hi George,
Thanks for the reply. I'll take the cover off tomorrow and give it some oil. So far the pieces I have turned were roughly rounded by handsaw before turning with the finished pieces being about 6"diam. x 2"thick, and two pieces that were about 4"diam. x 2"thick, so pretty much well balanced and not too big. I've got lots of offcuts from framing timber which will give me some inexpensive practice pieces. I was worried that the vibration might mean worn bearings.
Thanks again.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »
In answer to your questions:
1) Once the lathe is running, the speed change should not take excessive force. If it does, you probably need to do some maintenance.
2) More weight is never a bad thing. However, if 20 bricks didn't solve the issue with small pieces, you should investigate whether there is anything loose. With the lath standing still, try and see whether the chuck allows any movement (other than rotational). If it does, you may have an issue with the bearings. If the work piece allows movement in the chuck, check whether all jaws are gripping properly. It could be that the chuck is worn out.
3) Lathes do require some maintenance and/or service, but in general the bearings should be sealed. Maintenance is normally restricted to checking your belts are in good condition, the bed is smooth and your main spindle thread holds the chuck firmly.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:22 PM »
Hi Fuzzyturns,
Thanks for those comments. I'll try the chuck/drive for any movement tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the jaws of the chuck were holding the piece rigidly, but it's something I'll double-check in the future.
Thanks.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
Just an update. I tried the chuck/drive for movement (with the power off) and there was no movement at all (other than rotational) which was a relief. I took off the rear cover and applied a little oil (obviously avoiding the belt and wheels). I didn't run the lathe but will do so tomorrow when the oil has had a chance to work it's magic.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »
When you run the lathe up turn the speed up and down for quite a whil to get it running smoothly.
If the bearings were worn you would not feel it with your hands.
I see you never said where you live if you did somebody local to you might be able to give you some help

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
Hi George,
I'll give that a go. I live near Lewes, East Sussex.

Offline Tim Cornwall

• iron
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
hi mike,  i know its a long shot but , i guess you lathe has a swinging head, make sure the locking leaver is done up tight , i got a axminster similar to yours and when i started if i swung the head and forgot to tighten it up i got chatter from it, just a long shot, 

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »
I'll look at that tomorrow :) Thanks.