Author Topic: Bear was here  (Read 1577 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Bear was here
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »
I am a great admirer of the work of Douglas J Fisher. He lives in (or close to) Vancouver in Canada, and many of his pieces are large diameter wall hangings, with off-centre turning, and intricate carving of Pacific American Native Indian motives, and beautifully coloured. I am pretty much set on doing work myself in that direction, but obviously with different designs, since I do not live in that area. I recently read a blog post on another website (another favourite turner, Ed Pretty, from the same area), where he described some of the techniques used to produce these turnings after attending a one-day workshop by Douglas, and I thought I have a go. The rough turned ash dish had been lying around the workshop for some time (in fact, well over a year) and was just asking for some work. So this is turned, carved, stained black, sanded back and the coloured with dyes. Finished with a bit of acrylic lacquer. The title should be pretty clear.

As usual, all C&C welcome.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Bear was here
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:48:19 PM »
I love his work as well. A lot of carving involved as well as the off centre turning and artwork. One day when I have the time ......and if I ever gain the skill.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Bear was here
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »
Fuzzy,

Yes I can see the link to Fishers platters and I can also see the immense difference you've brought to this piece.

What works for me it the translucent yellow of the background, because it's not perfect it gives the piece an aged/worn look.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!