Author Topic: A Christmas story  (Read 1733 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
A Christmas story
« on: December 24, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »
Something a little different for a change.
Over 40 years ago I was serving in the armed forces, I spent Christmas in the carribean,in Belize. Christmas eve we had to drive out of the city and as we did so we passed the chain gangs that were marching back into the city jail for Christmas. The following day (Christmas day) I spent in the grounds of the convent which was next door to the city jail, I will never forget the sound of the voices coming from the jail as they sang Christmas carols before their dinner. Even the memory sends shivers up my spine. At 12:00 hrs the convent doors opened and a line of nuns emerged with silver trays on which they served us a traditional (locally) Christmas dinner of rice and kidney beans along with flaked chicken. I have to say it was one of the highlights of my time there. Lunch over, I fed bread rolls to the porpoises that would come to us when we tapped a stone against the rocks, I fell asleep on the sea wall and got sunburn on the soles of my feet. How the times have changed but the memories last forever and that is one that I shall never forget.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: A Christmas story
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
A Christmas Story with a difference....sounds like quite an experience.

Nadolig Llawen...Merry Christmas, Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.