Author Topic: Ash Vase  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Ash Vase
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »
Just an experiment.
Ash crutch turned wet I used Lemon oil for sanding and then finished with Hard wax Oil and when dry Woodwax22 to add shine. Time will tell to see if it cracks but because it is turned relatively thin it should move rather than crack.

It stands 4 1/4" tall

Even though it is an experiment C & C welcome

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Ash Vase
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »

The shape you have chosen Derek shows the wood off well, it should texture quite nicely as long as it does not crack.
   I take it that this is from your new store.
   Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »
It's a very practical shape and looks as though it will be stable as a vase. The middle of the three images gives the best view, in my opinion. I'm wondering why you want to put such a wax on it though, as it will surely spoil if any water gets splashed or spilled onto the wax. Why not use a gloss finish hard wax-oil?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
Thank you both for the comments time will tell at what it will do

The shape you have chosen Derek shows the wood off well, it should texture quite nicely as long as it does not crack.
   I take it that this is from your new store.
   Kind Regards Tony di

It has qite a nice feel to it already as it has started to dry and now has some nice gentle undulation across the surface. Yes it is from my new stash. Next job will be to cut the pieces into round for the most of them, some into blaks for hollow forms or vase shapes and the odd ones left as they are to give the Y shaped bowl from the junction of trunk/branch. I may rough turn some to aid quicker drying.

It's a very practical shape and looks as though it will be stable as a vase. The middle of the three images gives the best view, in my opinion. I'm wondering why you want to put such a wax on it though, as it will surely spoil if any water gets splashed or spilled onto the wax. Why not use a gloss finish hard wax-oil?
Les

I called it a vase because of the shape but not really big enough. It does have some Hard Wax Oil on it already as explained in my first post.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »
Derek,

great work keeping the bark intact especially as its such a wide section.

As everyone else says, I hope it holds together in the drying process.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!