Author Topic: What sharpening system to buy?  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
What sharpening system to buy?
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
I work out of two different workshops, one at home and the other in my shop on the High Street, and sharpening my tools is always a problem when I’m working at the shop. Space is at a premium there, so I tend to take two of everything and then bring them back home in the evening to re-sharpen them all….which is a pain in the neck. So, in the new year I will invest in a new system; but which one?
At the moment I have two bench grinders, one with CBN and the other with white stones. The CBN grinder has a cheap-and-cheerful gouge sharpener permanently fixed at one wheel, and a tilt-able platform at the other, so I manage to sharpen everything that I need to. The other grinder never gets used.
So here’s the dilemma. Do I start from scratch and get two new systems, or do I upgrade the grinders? Is the cost of a Tormek really justifiable? Does the Pro-Edge really live up to Sorby’s claims about how rugged it is? Then there’s the Sorby 447 Deluxe, and similarly, the Wolverine systems for use with bench grinders. Does a leather strop-wheel make much of a difference?
I’d appreciate some input from anyone with direct experience of any of these systems, especially if you run more than on system and can make reasoned comparisons.
Thanks in advance…Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
Re: What sharpening system to buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
I'm only a hobby turner, but I'd say the pro-Edge is a 'no brainer' for use in a retail environment, if only for H&S reasons;
Effectively instant start and stop, compact, very few sparks generated compared to a dry grinder and zero risk of wheel disintegration.

I've used dry grinders and they're fine. I found a wet grinder to be painfully slow and the finer edge of not much benefit, plus the water bath and wheel surface both need regular attention. For me the SPE is just great, superbly engineered, versatile and so easy to use.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
Hi Les,  I bought the Record 8" Grinder and the Sorby 447 Delux at Ally Pally in 2010 (?) and find it really good. This was my first sharpening system for turning, a few years ago I was given a Tormek 2000 system which is also extremely good for both turning and Cabinet work albeit a little on the slow side. Last September 12 month I bought the pro edge from Yandles and for turning I haven't used anything else since. The belts last me about a year (you would have to replace them a little more often) and cost about £6. We have bought a Pro Edge for the club and it gets a lot of use from the members that have them at home. In fairness I still prefer the Tormek for Plane Irons and Hand Chisels as it does give a keener edge but for turning the Pro Edge every time.
Only you can make the choice but I guess it will have to be the same in work as it is at home and the Sorby is expensive. The Wolverine is easy to carry with you between work and home you just need an extra mounting plate. From a not very often hobbyist they all do a really good job but you need to get used to one of them.
Happy Christmas Les, hope you make the right choice. Is there anyone near you that has a Pro Edge you could borrow to try ?
Julian
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:14:36 PM by julcle »
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 06:15:06 PM »
APH/Julian....thanks for your replies, it certainly makes a good start and confirms good things I've heard about the Pro-Edge, which I've never used, but which my club chairman owns and brings to the club regularly.
Just to clarify one point; I don't intend to carry a system back and forth between the two workshops. Rather, I'd have a basic set of tools and the facility to sharpen them in each. As I already have CBN wheels (which I am very happy with) I will probably opt for a stand-alone system in the main workshop and something to make the most of the CBN grinder at the other.

Les

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »
Les

For the first year of my turning I use the Jet wet wheel system, similar to the Tormek and had no problems with it the system give a good clean cutting edge. A bit of messing around keeping the water topped up and dressing the stone.

Then December 2014 I took home my demo Proedge to see how it worked and find any pitfalls so I could advise my customers. Well the Proedge is still sitting on my bench where I mounted it and is use all the time they are without question the fastest easiest system for woodturning tools.

I've still got the other systems so when I'm teaching if someone has a wet wheel system or a bench grinder and that what they need to learn how to sharpen on, then that what I use. But most people then try the ProEdge and quite often land up buying one.

All the best

Ed
P.S. If you fancy a Tormek I've a second hand one with all the jigs that I was going to put up for sale in the New Year.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
The trend credit card diamond stone is ideal for this sort of situation. Use regularly to keep an edge on your tools.|I use it for demos and in the workshop and it hones the tools really well. No need to keep grinding except to reshape or refine the tool. Just Google 'Trend Diamond Sharpening Card'

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
Hi Les. I have a pro edge from Sorby and have had it for about five years now. I wouldn’t use anything else now, it is brilliant. It is so quick and easy to use, you can touch up an edge in literally seconds. Belts last for ages. Really recommend it. Happy Christmas and an happy new year. Malcolm.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 11:08:09 PM »
Hi Les,
           for many years now I have used B&Q grinders coupled with a 447 jig. None of the expensive grinders will give you anything out of the ordinary so I would not bother wasting my money on wide wheeels or slow run grinders or those that give a flat grind, it is all a load of rubbish invented by companies that are trying to sell their products. B&Q grinders with a decent jig or fixed angle jig is all anyone needs, that and experience to sharpen correctly. I must admit that one of my grinders is an Elu that is 30 odd years old, still going strong and fitted with white wheels for cooler cutting but otherwise nothing else needed.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »
Les,

Over the years I've used just about everything you can think of. Grey Carborundum, Pink & White Wheels, Wet Stones, Diamond slips. About the only thing I've not tried is the belt Tru-Grind system.

Currently I'm running a Crussen Slow grinder (half speed) with 120 Grit, 40mm white wheels. One with a Wolverine jig set up for my bowl gouges, the other with a Sorby 447 for spindle gouges, with the raise up platform form scrapers or the occasional touch up of my skews. I also have another couple of Sorby 447 jigs for the gouges that need a different sharpening on the edge.

I use this most of the time, it is mounted on a board with a piece of wood that extends downward so I can hold it fast in my bench vice or even a workmate. So easy enough to pick up and carry about (or move) as necessary, you know the size of my workshop from your visit.

I do have a wet wheel, I used before the Crussen and yes it is a good system but forget to empty the water tray and leave it in place with the wheel in it and I found it softens the stone wearing it irregularly. A mistake you don't make twice. It also takes up much more room. It was also a pain keep changing the guide bar between bowl and spindle grind positions.

These days I just use the wet system for my bench planes and skews.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
Just as an afterthought as well (I don't expect you will need this Les) but for others; don't forget that you will never have the same diameter of stone in two locations so you will never get the same grind on a hollow grind system no matter how similar they are. The Pro Edge being a flat grind will be the same from anywhere.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »
I have a Tormek and a normal bench grinder. I tend to use the Tormek for all my gouges, and the bench grinder (with the Axminster jig) for skew chisels and scrapers. There's not much point in the honing wheel for turning tools, but it is pretty much essential for carving tools (and I do quite a bit of carving). For your shop setup I would go for a bench grinder with a CBN wheek and an Axminster jig. Gives you all you need without the space and mess caused by a Tormek.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 11:45:16 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the input, your experience and input is much appreciated.

I am going ahead with a system like the Sorby 447 at the small studio workshop, using my existing CBN wheels and grinder, but will also be using a ProEdge at the main workshop.

Happy New Year to you all....Les

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »
For many years I sharpened by hand no jigs etc. But awhile back I bought a second hand Woodcut jig and did some minor mods to clamping arrangement. It has to date done well running on an old set of grey wheels 200mm dia. and finish off the grind with a diamond hand lap as needed.
I didnt changed the wheels as they came with it and they are doing ok. But when the time comes I will probably go to Ali-oxide.