Author Topic: Alaskan Chainsaw Mill Copy (Chinese Milling or Chilling)  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Alaskan Chainsaw Mill Copy (Chinese Milling or Chilling)
« on: December 19, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
Below is a thread to a forum on which I have given some thoughts on a cheap Chinese chainsaw and Alaskan copy mill. it has proved invaluable in converting trunks to blanks and boards, for those of you whom may have a use or interest in such things.

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/98219-chilling-chinese-milling/
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Alaskan Chainsaw Mill Copy (Chinese Milling or Chilling)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 11:48:15 PM »
It looks a useful tool. What are the width / depth limits of the mill?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
...What are the width / depth limits of the mill?....
...also, I'd be interested to know the name of the make and model. I don't buy cheap and cheerful for my every-day tools, as they just don't last, but for an occasional use and with the write-up that you've given it, it could be worthwhile in this case.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 07:50:47 AM »
Have a look at the Chainsawbars website, mills available up to 48" at under £90, as for the chainsaw I went for a 62cc Timberpro with Oregon 22" bar and chain delivered for under £100, as I said in my post they paid for themselves in the first outing and has allowed me to plank some great timbers and make items such as garden benches with ease. Realistically I can cut a 20" wide board, and have done from each side on bigger trunks but its not best practise

I did buy a milling chain but to be honest on this size set up the benefit is minimal and I wouldn't bother again, coupled with a £20 lidl chain sharpener this has been a great investment.
A friend is doing a barn conversion and had a 8" x 8" beam he wanted cut down the center for door frames, it was 12` long and very heavy, I did it on site for him and the saw zipped thru it with ease and a very fine finish, the alternative was a wood yard to collect and process at £140, so again very cost effective.

Its not easy work as usually you are on the ground with the rig, and in the summer it was hot and dusty but milling is addictive and opening up unknown tree to see what's within is always a rush.......

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
These are brilliant systems with only 2 problems;
  • A constant source of tree trunks and,
  • Somewhere to store all the boards you create while they season.

I'd have one if only I could resolve the second issue.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »
rent a container.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 11:28:05 PM »
Some good websites relating to these mills:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chainsaw-Mill-Build-Use-Tips-n-Tricks/
This as an excellent site which through good photographs and videos, describes in great detail how to build a mill as well as discussing the underlying technology and techniques and safety issues.

The URL for the Chainsaw Bar website has a range of mills for sale with a wealth of associated information:

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/chainsaw-mills-kits/

The smallest Mill they do (Ecomill) is 36" and is priced at 120 GBP excluding VAT
Their most sophisticated Mill is their G778-U *NEW* Granberg Ultimate Chainsaw Mill – Adjusts from 24″ to 60″ and comes in at a price of 309.00 GBP excluding VAT

Ebay also has some well-built looking kits on display (as well as others of doubtful usage), some of which are cheaper than the Granberg kits. For example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Chainsaw-Mill-Chainsaw-Milling-Attachment-Planking-Lumber-Ripping-/352227596759?hash=item52026699d7 which comes in at a price of 77.98 GBP inclusive of delivery.

Using these Mills with anything but a petrol driven chainsaw seems to be deprecated but I wonder if the smaller 24" Mills could be used with a good quality electric chainsaw for trimming on a smaller-scale?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 07:12:36 AM »
Lazarus/Tim....some very useful information there. Thank you!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
Good value I paid about three times that for mine and it is basicly the same

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
You will need a good petrol saw to make the most of the mill, I have a 62cc on the small mill and if I push it, it will bog down. A very sharp chain is key and regular sharpening during use. I use hand files for a quick touch up and the cheap Lidls electric sharpener at the end of the day to reset the chains. Also depending on the size of logs you are cutting I often cut on site as moving the logs is bl00dy hard work.

If you are cutting on the ground it is quite athletic so be realistic about what and where you want cut.

S.