Author Topic: Wood delivery/ collection  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Wood delivery/ collection
« on: December 08, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
This week I managed to get hold of a very little bit of wood to expand my stocks so far Ash and Oak.

The first day I collected some ash which took all of 10 minutes to collect including loading and unloading.

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Wood delivery/ collection
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 03:15:50 PM »
Then the second day some Oak again from the same place

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
And to make things easier they even delivered today's pile some more Ash and this time from lower down the tree than the first lot. There is also a lot more to come. I believe there is some Maple as well still to be given the chop. This is only the start.
Unfortunately I was unable to process the Oak yesterday as it was raining so that is under the Ash.
From what I can see where they cut through the branch junction it could have some nice flame in there.

Just out of interest the slabs are 18" square

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »

i'm fairly sure that this is not oak, it could be field maple?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:59:04 PM by seventhdevil »

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 05:09:33 PM »

i'm fairly sure that this is not oak, it could be field maple?

He did say there was some field maple will confirm tomorrow as I did not look that close and I am terrible at bark recognition as i went around for that pile and they lifted them into the car. I just unloaded and dumped them on the patio not really looking.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:13 PM »
That's quite  a stash, Derek....what will you do to preserve it all and to keep fungus and splits at bay?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
That's quite  a stash, Derek....what will you do to preserve it all and to keep fungus and splits at bay?
Les

I am going to cut it hopefully over the weekend and seal the ends and put it into stick as I have two sheds with plenty of ventilation and good air flow. Once done I will start to rough turn some and again store in stick.
I know it seems like sealing then turning may look like a waste of time but it gives me a breathing space between the two.
I have done this in the past and had a very good success or should that be luck. so why change it if it works. The only stuff I have had problems with is some of the fruit woods like cherry and we know what that can be like.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »
Treat cut ends/slices with some Borax solution to keep fungi at bay (before sealing)?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 01:32:36 AM »
they need to be done in this order.

field maple then the ash then the oak.

if you rough turn the maple now you will keep more of the colour and have a better chance of it drying properly.

ash is forgiving in the drying process so you don't need to rush too much.

the oak is even more forgiving with regards to drying (unless very wavy grained) so you can do that once you've roughed the ash out.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:03 PM »
The pile is now reducing nicely and so far I am up to 73 pieces. Just learnt that there is another load being delivered tomorrow and that i can throw the 12 bags of shaving on and they will get rid of it.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 09:56:31 PM »
Well due to the tree cutters having to do something else did not get the trunks today. But have now been able to take photo's of yesterdays pile and what is still left to rough cut.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 06:40:50 AM »
That's quite a stash you're building up....it's well worth keeping in with the people you're getting these from, and might also be worth having a word with a view to keeping some of it in longer lengths in he future; it's less prone to splitting if it's longer.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »
That's quite a stash you're building up....it's well worth keeping in with the people you're getting these from, and might also be worth having a word with a view to keeping some of it in longer lengths in he future; it's less prone to splitting if it's longer.
Les

They are back next year when they have completed this stage of the work and will let me know.

As I am cutting these into blanks near enough straight away they have cut many of them 1 1/2 times the diameter as it is in many cases.
I am cutting these down in less than a week from being felled
Not only that but due to my health problems with my heart and back problems having to move longer pieces makes them to heavy especially the Oak which is 16" diameter. They even cut some straight down the middle for me and through the branches as I wanted.
If I can get a good percentage out of all of them I will still be very happy.
Thank you Les for the advice, it is always nice when people give it so freely and share their knowledge and I for one appreciate it. One of the reasons I love this hobby so much

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »
Derek the wife said that I can start collecting some more wood now  ;D so one phone call and 15 minutes later this load of yew turns up to the wife's amazement.
I might make another phone call tomorrow just to see the look on her face when something else gets dropped off.
On second thoughts i better not do that or she might hide the keys to my workshop  :o Les

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
Derek the wife said that I can start collecting some more wood now  ;D so one phone call and 15 minutes later this load of yew turns up to the wife's amazement.
I might make another phone call tomorrow just to see the look on her face when something else gets dropped off.
On second thoughts i better not do that or she might hide the keys to my workshop  :o Les

Thats good I will chuck some in the car when I see you next week I have plenty

I love Yew ;D ;D ;D Oops that sound so wrong