Author Topic: yarn bowls  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
yarn bowls
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »
I have been asked to make a yarn/wool bowl to take 100g balls. can any one help with the internal size that is needed for that size of ball. Does it need to be a comfortable fit or loose

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: yarn bowls
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »
It would need to abput 150mm at least inside diameter. 100gm of wool can vary a lot in dimensions depending on what ply it is. You will need to make very sure that all edges are smooth and rounded as well.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
Thank you Pete the ball of 100g that my wife has is nearly 9" long so by the measurements that you stated I assume the ball stands upright and not lay down in the bowl which means it would fit in a 6" bowl.
Thank you for pointing out about a very smooth finish this I did take as a known because of the wool catchin but may help others

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
just make it 8" inside and that should cover the wool no problem.

Offline ericroy

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
I have been researching yarn bowls in the last few days as I am planning to make one for SWMBO for Christmas. A fairly normal size seems to about 175mm diameter and 125mm deep, but there are examples plus and minus 20% of these dimensions.

Key attributes for them to work well seem to be:
  • large enough to allow the wool to spin around
  • smooth enough finish for wool not to catch
  • enough weight to stay in place when the wool is pulled

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
do you cut the slit before or after final turning?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
Following the other comments, I have made a dozen yarn bowls over the last year and I make them from blanks which are about 230mm x 100/110mm. No dissatisfied customers yet. I make the inside of the bowl with just slightly curved to keep the wool in place. Seems to work well with her indoors!

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
I always cut after turning  - have tried different methods but the final option was a Dremel though I know some turners use other methods.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
Thank you every one for the input.

do you cut the slit before or after final turning?

I will cut mine after turning as I would when making any piece with cut outs in it. It keeps the piece more stable when turning as well as stops the chance of pieces chipping out when you hit the cut out

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
I made a couple recently with spiral cuts made with a Dremmel after turning, the cuts looked a little wide, is there any reason why it couldn't just be a hole instead.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
I made a couple recently with spiral cuts made with a Dremmel after turning, the cuts looked a little wide, is there any reason why it couldn't just be a hole instead.

I think the spiral slot allows for easy insertion of the wool and that you can remove the ball while there is knitting on the needles without having to break/cut the wool

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
There are two types of yarn bowls, the usual one being the one with the spiral cut that is to allow the wool to feed out of the bowl without the ball being pulled out. The second one has a lid with a hole in it which does the same thing but the lid needs to ideally be threaded or a tight fit.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
Thank you Pete the one I have been asked for is the first one in your post so will be making that one. It is for the man who is supplying all the wood in the other post.