Author Topic: Woodfast lathe on the internet or sale  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Woodfast lathe on the internet or sale
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:10:58 AM »
On a well known web site
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodfast-C1000-woodturning-lathe-and-chisels-Made-in-Australia-Good-condition/202134780588?hash=item2f102bfaac:g:XkMAAOSwRbtaGc2y

I have owned 3 woodfast lathes , they aare solid , this is a older model but still good value , Manual speed change the is quick and easy to do , assessed from the front , Quality made  :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Woodfast lathe on the internet or sale
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:07:28 AM »
Could be a good buy. Is that the original motor though? Odd being a different colour is that normally the case?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
There was a C450 complete with electronic variable speed two weeks ago that didn't sell for £250 !

There seem to have been quite a few really good lathes being offered recently that only get moderate prices or fail to sell for a bargain price.
I don't think just before Christmas is a good time to sell secondhand lathes, but a good time to buy ;-)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:03 AM »
Could be a good buy. Is that the original motor though? Odd being a different colour is that normally the case?

Pete
Hi Pete

Yes the motors were not made by Woodfast , ther were obtained from a motor manufacturer

Offline Langdon

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
The Woodfast C450 that was for sale in the last few weeks? After it had gone through with no bids, I kept thinking about it and eventually set up a buy it now with the seller and now it's mine, all mine. All my researches say it should be very good for what I want - I'm a beginner, want to mainly do faceplate turning so a short bed like that will be a big help, I hope. I've done a little with a Shopsmith clone by Multico and an Axminster AW90 type, so the Woodfast should be a nice improvement. It needs a bit of TLC and it will get it.

Does anyone have a scanned copy of the manual, please please? I can't find one anywhere. I've found several other Woodfast lathe manuals like the M408, M410 and the M900 series, but not the manual that covers the C1000 and C450.

Wood spinner, you said you have had three Woodfasts, did you have one of these? For ease of transport, reducing the weight, is it feasible to remove the headstock and motor from the bed?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
PM Sent.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 06:48:40 PM »
It needs a bit of TLC and it will get it.
Great to read. I reckon you'll have a really solid lathe there without too much effort.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:41:57 AM »
Yes it will come apart , tailstock , tool rest , motor , makes it a lot easier to move around

I missed that one on the bay , it will be a great lathe for you , well done  ;)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
Even broken down it is heavy. I have the newer version and getting the head back on the stand took a bit of effort. Watch your back if you are doing it on your own.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Langdon

• iron
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:31 AM »
Thanks for your replies. :)
 I'll break it down as much as I can for moving. The seller never actually got it set up and in use and I'm doubtful that it has the electronic variable speed available on some Woodfasts. Photos of the two control boxes only show on and off buttons, no variable speed knob. Not a big deal, could add it later if it seems desireable.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
Photos of the two control boxes only show on and off buttons, no variable speed knob. Not a big deal, could add it later if it seems desireable.
If the seller didn't ever set it up that might explain the lack of a VS control. I suspect that the Specher and Shuh marked box is an inverter and the other box is a simple on/off option, but you should be able to add a variable speed control to that.
Nothing too difficult if you're knowledgeable and confident with electrical installations. If you're not, try to get a manual off the web for the inverter and get a qualified electrician to sort it out for you. From scratch you can make a nice little movable control box as more modern lathes are fitted with.

If all else fails and you have to buy a new motor and controller from Haydock you'll still have a bargain at that price.

Don't forget to post a picture of it restored to make us jealous :-)

Offline Langdon

• iron
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »
APH,

The Sprecher and Schuh box might be an inverter? Interesting, hadn't though of that. Makes sense, though, otherwise, why two boxes? Or could it just be a starter? My electrical knowledge isn't that great, but adding a VS control relatively cheaply would be very good indeed. If not, I won't be much disappointed, just to have the lathe up and running with manual speed changing will be a big step on for me.

Offline Langdon

• iron
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
Update

Got the lathe home, dismantled, wheelbarrowed through garden to shed workshop, built a bench for it, re-assembled it and began cleaning the rust and crud off - used wet and dry 400 grit with WD40 as lubricant on the ways.

The Sprecher and Schuh electrical box turned out to be a contactor and the motor is single phase, not 3 phase as described by the seller, so no electronic variable speed option, not too worried about that. The contactor was also not wired correctly, such that the motor only ran with the start button held on. That took me a while to figure out, but now know how to wire a contactor correctly.

Happy woodturning Christmas to all, and remember when retreating to the shed after too many hours filled with aunts and nephews, grandchildren and stepdaughters mothers, alcohol and machinery do not mix well.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
the motor is single phase, not 3 phase as described by the seller, so no electronic variable speed option,
That's naughty of the seller. That moves it from being an outstanding bargain to just a jolly good buy ;-)