Author Topic: Help with deciding on a lathe  (Read 5839 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Help with deciding on a lathe
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
I would not buy from Ebay because you do not know what you are getting i have heared horror stries about stuff bought on Ebay,bits missing bent shafts damaged threads Etc Etc.
Axminster give a three year guarantee Record five years that has got to be worth something if only peace of mind.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 09:19:54 AM »
I would not buy from Ebay because you do not know what you are getting
Your choice, but eBay is biggest marketplace for secondhand lathes in the UK. There may an occasional faulty one sold, but most are sound and often remarkable value for money. They're frequently sold with useful accessories that add a lot of value.

Last year I bought a lathe off eBay for £350 after a mention here, to buy anything new with a similar capability would cost around £1500. The £1150 saved bought a lot of other kit and wood.

With respect to delivery; If you do buy new from Axminster, give them a call. A lot of the heavier items are delivered by their own transport and if you send them some photos of the track they'll advise of any issues with delivery.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »
Buying of Ebay is a bit like gambling don't risk more than you can afford to lose

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 10:18:23 AM »
You can get some good deals on ebay but I wouldn't buy something like a lathe without at least getting a good look at it running first. In your situation perhaps getting an experienced turner to look at it for you. As said, there are some people selling real c**p on there. Worth the extra cost getting peace of mind with a reputable dealer.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 11:07:07 AM »
You can get some good deals on ebay but I wouldn't buy something like a lathe without at least getting a good look at it running first.
Often not possible, but not necessarily a problem.
If you buy anything remotely, pay with PayPal and you're covered if anything is wrong.
Collect in person and you can check enough over to be pretty confident that you're buying safely.

Woodturning lathes are pretty basic things, there's not a lot of risk compared to many other items like cars or techy kit. Most major faults are easy enough to see. A little bit of homework will ensure you know what sort of deal you're considering.