Author Topic: Help with deciding on a lathe  (Read 5870 times)

Offline KaysProjects

• iron
Help with deciding on a lathe
« on: December 01, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Hello!
Please bear with me this is my first time forum-ing.
i self taught myself how to turn about a year ago, I started with pens and moved onto small bowls, using the mini charnwood. But now I've caught the bug and want to start doing bigger bowls, so I need a bigger lathe. & Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge with the Axminster AWVSL1000, or any idea of other lathes in that price range that may be right for me. I am not very knowledgable on lathes, and at only 23 years of age, I hope to expand my knowledge and capabilities :D
Thanks in advance :)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Help with deciding on a lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »

Hello Kay and welcome to the Forum you are asking the question in the right place to get some very useful help I have had no experience

with the Lathe in question but I think you are starting looking at one of the best suppliers of power tools etc. also my advice would be to

join one of the many woodturning clubs in the UK if there is one in your area please advise on this forum and someone will be able to

guide you in the right direction also consider having some lessons.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »
I'm guessing your name is Kay, so welcome to the forum.

There are as many right as wrong answers to your question. The first thing you need to ask yourself is 'What is it you want to turn'; Spindles or Faceplate work; how big or long.

The AWVSL1000 is a reasonable step but I've no doubt you'll soon outgrow it and want something bigger.

Tell us a little more about your aspirations and we will help you.

Also, you don't say where you live but one thing we do strongly recommend is you join the local Woodturning Club. You can find a list of them from the Clubs link in the AWGB Web Page.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
Best is get the biggest and best you can afford and accomodate. Axminster lathes are good and their service is usually excellent. As Bryan says though the lathe you mention could prove a bit small soon though you can get an extension for longer work but the head is fixed so you are limited to the diameter. If you are just starting then you are going to want to experiment with different things so it is better to try and get a good, larger lathe now than have to upgrade later on. As said if you haven't already. look up the nearest club and join. Plenty of advice, help etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
Hi Kay. I have a AWVSWL 1200 which is about 6 or 7 years, and I assume that is similar to what you mention. I find it a very good piece of equipment and works well for what I want to do. I also have the out board attachment which fits onto the end of the bed and below it to ebanle larger diameter bowls to be turned that are too big over the bed. The only criticism I have is that there is a short delay after pressing the go button before the lathe starts. I get over this by using the speed control to start and stop and leave the switch on most of the time (except for estop,  of course). This may have been rectified with newer models. I suggest you go to a Axminster store and see for yourself.  Also do what has been suggested above.  Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »
Just checked and I was thinking of a different lathe. Listen to Malcolm not me regarding the limitations.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
Hi
The  AWVSL1000 is a great Lathe and you will not out grow it the capasity is good.
You might want to upgrade to an electrical variable speed rather than mechanical eventualy.
I had one for many years and enjoyed it and if you eventualy upgrade it will always sell for good money.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline KaysProjects

• iron
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies & Welcomes :D!
I am In West Yorkshire, and want to turn both bowls & spindles at some point, but starting with bowls. (Although I do have quite a few small spindle blanks to have a go at too)

I am quite worried how the Axminster AWVSL1000 says 'hobby lathe' thats the main reason i haven't straight out ordered it. I mean I do do it as a hobby.. but I am on it every day for at least 2-3 projects per day.

I would love to join a local club, but I suffer with severe anxiety so rarely leave the house, hence coming to a forum :P  (And having time to teach myself :D)

I would like to spend roughly below £600, or just under £650 at a push.

Thanks again, It Is very appreciated!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »

Kay reading your comments you may be able to get someone from a local woodturning Club to come to your workshop to give you some

tuition just an idea and good luck to you with the woodturning.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 06:34:23 AM »
Hi Kay?

Welcome to the forum.

I have a AWVSL1000 (well my son does) they are quite a good lathe for the money. You will be able to turn large bowls and spindles without any real problems.

The things to look out for is that you can only change speed with the lathe running, it's not an issue once you get use to it. You should also put some counterbalance on the shelf which is fitted on the leg stand. A few bags of sand will help just to lesson any vibration.

I think that Axminster rate them for 2 or 3 hours use but we have had it running all day without a problem.

You will be turning bigger things faster on this lathe so I would strongly recommend taking a lesson, if your not happy going out find someone that will come to you. There a list of tutors on the AWGB website https://www.awgb.co.uk/awgb-tutors-map
or you can also find someone on the Register of Professional Turners (RPT) here http://www.registerofprofessionalturners.co.uk/find-a-turner/

If you are looking to improve your work, post some of it in the gallery we have a number of professional turners on here and they will give you good feedback to help you. And don't forget no question is a stupid question, we have all had to learn and there's a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

Enjoy your new lathe and stay safe.

Ed

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »
Hi Kay,
Welcome to the forum. Several of my students and club members have the AWVSL lathe and find them a good, basic lathe that is a real workhorse. Personally I would slightly disagree with Axminster for rating it as a 'Hobby' machine as there is very little to go wrong with it and is easily maintained.
That said, I would like to offer some more general advice, as this is a mistake all too often made by newcomers to woodturning. Don't spend all your budget on the lathe, leaving little for the other kit you need. A cheap set of tools on the best lathe in the world, will still result in total frustration. I usually recommend spending a third of the budget on the lathe, a third on your tools and accessories and a third on the workshop and consumables. And I would include in that some lessons, especially with a tutor who is prepared to teach you in your own workshop, bearing in mind your comment about anxiety.
And a final word of warning. You say you are self-taught. That often means watching videos on the internet. Please be aware that altough there are some very good videos, there are also outright dangerous practises being shown.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline KaysProjects

• iron
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
Thanks again for the replies, you guys are so helpful! I have got that one step closer to ordering the AWVSL1000.
I just have a few questions, if that is okay :)

I am now struggling on accessories for it, what fits and what doesn't fit. I currently have a record power 1x8 1'' scroll chuck, and was wondering if there is any that are go a bigger size? As its quiet compact. Or is that how its meant to be?

I am also worried about how it will arrive, i live up a dirt track and my 'workshop' is in the basement. Eeek!

I also use carbide tools for turning, will I need to upgrade to gauges? Or can I keep using the carbide ones? The only reason i dont have non carbide is because i dont have the space (what with the bandsaw, scroll saw, drill press, routers etc) for a sharpening machine/device.

In regards to self teaching, I have read more books on wood turning than watching videos on YT. Although i have watched a few too :D & Of course the woodwork & power tool show at Harrogate, I watched a few demonstrations  :)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 11:30:33 PM »
I think you will find the lathe would be delivered in "kit" form so you would have the bed and legs as separate pieces to assemble yourself.

For chucks, most people go for a 4" chuck but it depends what you want to make. Is the one you have really a 1" chuck or is it a 4" chuck with 1" jaws? If so, you can get different sizes of jaws to fit the chuck.

You can keep the carbide tools but I would recommend at some point you invest in at least one spindle gouge and a bowl gouge. You will find the quality of cut far superior to the carbide tools. If space is at a premium, you can always make a sharpening disc to use on your lathe instead of buying a grinder.

If you haven't already done so, you should join the AWGB. Some of the suppliers offer discounts for members and you could also apply for a free course!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 03:32:32 AM »
My advice for what its worth would be " Wait " and see what lathes come up on internet sales sites second hand , You will get a better lathe probably with accessories / chuck / tools and some bits and bobs , from someone who is selling up / downsizing etc
Electronic variable speed is very good as aposed to the leaver type speed change that may cause you problems if you forget to drop the lathe speed down when ending a project , Put a unbalanced piece on the lathe turn it on and run for the hill when you see the lathe bouncing around you workshop  ;D

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning