Author Topic: A gentle reminder!  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
A gentle reminder!
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:50:13 PM »
Well I had a list of Christmas requests as usual from friends and family so I thought I would make a start with an nice 18" platter for the mother in law, I had a nice looking 3" Yew blank which has been drying for a couple of years.
So I popped this on a face plate and bolted it to the VB36, started nice and slow and trimmed it to round.
I took my Aircap off had a cuppa admired the emerging grain patterns, then returned to the lathe, popped on my headgear and started to increase the speed of the lathe when BANG!!
The whole blank shattered leaving just the faceplate on the lathe, a large chunk hit the bed bar, bounced and took out a wall socket, window (even though covered in steel mesh) and put a large dent in the work shop vac. Other chunks shot around the workshop knocking things awry.
Now luckily I always stand to the side when upping the speed, and I have decent head and face protection, but, had one of the larger chinks hit (it was a heavy bit of yew)  I am sure I would at best had some decent bruising. I also have some heavy curtains to catch shavings around the lathe which caught many of the chunks before they hit expensive tools and accessories.
I gathered the bits together and found that hidden inside the blank was a long bark inclusion which hardly showed on the outside, this combined with the increased centrifugal force opened the blank in a very impressive manner.
Now in 20 plus years of turning, (touch wood!!) I have only has a couple of minor bumps and cuts, but this served as a timely reminder not to be complacent with safety gear (PPE) and safe practices in the workshop.
Oh and an excuse for a small nerve settler of single malt as I  finished for the day...........
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: A gentle reminder!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.....glad to hear that you escaped injury and a bit of a shae about the yew, but as you say, an excellent excuse for a nerve-settler.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 03:58:43 PM »
it goes with the territory stu...

i've only had a couple myself but the remind you when they go...

can you resin the blank and rescue it???

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »
No it was beyond redemption, which is a shame as I now have to buy a blank to appease mother in law. It really shattered but will keep the bigger bits as you do in the odds box

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Glad all ended well for you but not the wood.

I think that it is a reminder that even small pieces can be just as bad not long back a piece of spindle(Held in a chuck one end) flew out after I had removed the tailstock to work on the end hit square in the face luckily just made me jump a bit as wearing safety gear, had a catch which caused it.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »
Glad to hear that you escaped unarmed.

Ed

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »
I, like most people can become complacent and take the odd risk or push the limits, this served as a reminder just how quickly the wheel (or blank) can come off. I had a look again at the shrapnel last night and consider myself quite fortunate that I have fairly sound safety processes ingrained, such as standing to the side when increasing speed, always wearing my aircap and good cutting techniques. The damage around the workshop goes to show that a heavy chunk at several hundred RPM is as good a missile as you will get.
So onward and upward, I have to go to the local sawmill after work to get an 18" plus board and start again, pains me as I have so much timber and blanks but had been saving the Yew for this project and I haven't prepared anything big enough..... Bah Humbug!!!!!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
I had a instance with a parting tool  >:(

My fault entirely , was pushing through and thought " Its not far to go now " so pushed a bit harder , then in a instant the parting tool was ripped out of my hand and went straight through the glass window in front of the lathe  :o, Made quite a mess  >:(

Why did it do this ? = because I was lazy , and rather the open up the gap the parting tool was cutting through I pushed harder , And it pinched the tool

Yes I am a tool  also ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:32:52 AM by Wood spinner »

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
Have you also notice how apiece that becomes a missile always heads to the softest or most breakable parts in the workshop.