Author Topic: Coloured Box  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Coloured Box
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »
Again not very arty or difficult like many I have seen but the Pyrography machine did get used and took some time to do all of the dots, the Japanese writing was a quick job and took a fraction of the time I was going for a totally black finish but with the burnt dots giving the pot texture. Well I lightly sanded and liked the effect that was produced. I used spirit stain for the red and a gold guilt for the rest did not like the very bright gold so took that off and painted it red again with the spirit stain then re applied the gold letting the red show through which gave the desired effect.
This is the main reason for going into pyrography and that is to decorate my turnings I also do picture as i did with the praying hands in the bottom of a bowl.
It measures 4 3/4" X 2 1/4" from a piece of unknown wood

C & C welcome

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Coloured Box
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »
I quite like it thoiugh not too sure about the base myself. Overall effect is very oriental. What does the japanese mean?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
Thank you Pete I have had this sat in front of me for  a couple of days and keep looking at the foot but still it looked better than the other option of no foot at all which was what the design originally was going to be.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 10:12:59 PM »
I know the feeling. When in doubt leave as is.

Pete

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »
I like that Derek Very Oriental  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
I like this, I don't like this.

Strange way to describe something but it ticks a lot of boxes (no pun intended) for me, the shape, colouring etc., all work.

The bit that fails is the calligraphy. The Chinese are so careful about their writing that to do it as pyrography (stuttering dots) and lose the fluidness of the drawn words when done with inks looks wrong, which is a shame for something that is otherwise quite right looking.

Another question that needs asking is 'Do the words say or mean anything, or are they just made up shapes?' I've seen instances where random Chinese words have been tattooed onto someone and the meaning is really quite rude or stupid. I'd hate for this to be seen by a reader of Chinese and have it say something 'wrong'.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »
Thank you Bryan

Another question that needs asking is 'Do the words say or mean anything, or are they just made up shapes?' I've seen instances where random Chinese words have been tattooed onto someone and the meaning is really quite rude or stupid. I'd hate for this to be seen by a reader of Chinese and have it say something 'wrong'.

It is Japanese and says "Good Luck" the only thing that I am afraid of is the symbols should they read as they are or one above the other did not think about that at the time.

I am still getting use to the pyrography machine as well as not using it for periods between project that I use it hopefully will improve with practice

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
Derek,

the lid has a pagoda look about it, that's why I assumed it was Chinese. Do the Japanese do pagoda's?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 02:31:18 PM »
Pagodas are initially indian and have moved east with buddhism so are an architectural style found pretty much over all of S.E. Asia.

Pete