Author Topic: bowl... vase ?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
bowl... vase ?
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:02:45 AM »
river cooba or  acacia stenophylla A species that generally has a rich colour Red/Brown to the heart, fairly stiff to work with no silica, tend to be very porous and drinks the first few coats of any finish rapidly.

15 concave spirals with a flat surface between each one for contrast. The knot at the rim was a bit tricky firm but some very hard spots. Finish is about 7 or 8 coats of satin varnish over a couple of weeks allowing them to fully harden up. Will lightly buff this in a few days to bring out tactile touch. this satin has a real pull on the fingers after a light buffing.

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: bowl... vase ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
Well worth the perseverance of cutting through that knot as it adds to the overall effect. Also like the spirals a good job all round

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
I see these forms as your signature Hughie. Who cares if it is a bowl or a vase? I was once taken out of a club competition as my 'platter' had a base that was slightly rounded. Platters must beflat bottommed I was told. LOL  This is a beautiful piece in lovely wood, well made. Nuff said. 

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 10:39:19 PM »
Another stunning piece Hughie  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
Beutiful

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:30:56 PM »
Very nice piece, Hughie.  Malcolm

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
Yet another fantastic piece. I really like pieces of wood like this with knots, cracks and holes.
Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:20:48 PM »
Hughie,

strange to see you pick a piece of timber with a (and especial such a large) defect in it. You normally let your spiral work speak for itself, but this knot and associated darker coloured wood makes a bold statement in the middle of your normal work.

I hope it's met with the same admiration as all your other work, through your chosen outlet.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!