Author Topic: Oak burr and slate sculpture  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Oak burr and slate sculpture
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
This is another in the series of oak burr sculptures that I've been working with, on commission.

It's 750mm wide (30") and stands about 55cm tall (22"), but this time at the centre is a 6cm (2.5") cabochon of slate, which was horrible to turn and polish, with a thin gasket of leather between the oak and the slate. My usual scorched and lime-waxed texture on the wings, within a few accent lines and all over the plinth. The whole piece has also been given a couple of buffings with microcrystaline wax.

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Oak burr and slate sculpture
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »
Lovely piece. Only thing I would have perhaps done differently is that I would have mounted it on a steel rod instead of the wood. Personal taste again.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Oak burr and slate sculpture
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:23:17 PM »
Les, as much as I like this, I think there is 3 things wrong with it.

• The concentric rings keep changing width. They would look better all the same width or better, each ring a slightly smaller width, like ripples on a pond.
  • The unworked part of the wood, tp left detracts from the overall effect, I think it should have been cut away.
  • With the unworked wood cut away, the whole thing should be rotated 90° anti-clockwise. The balance Left to Right is wrong but the ratio either side the central boss would look correct, top to bottom.

But that's just me being picky.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!