Author Topic: Axminster Storme System  (Read 8182 times)

Offline simon

• copper
Axminster Storme System
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »
Has anyone seen or used the Axminster Storme sharpening system?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-storme-woodturners-sharpening-system-prod819724/?src=froogle

Seems very good value and complete (probably because others have already done the R&D on it as it does have some similarities to other sysyems!)

BRgds

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Axminster Storme System
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
Hello

Not used this one but many years ago used this one.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Grinding_Systems/Wolverine/wolverine.html#WolverineJig

Its a good system if you got plenty of room to walk around, the bar sticks out so far that its easy to walk into, unless you push the bar back each time, or it need to be at the end of your workshop.

This is a good system to use on all your tools, you can look at the Tru-Grind jig i posted on this site.

Philip

Nick Prince

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:56:27 PM »
I have the Axminster branded version of the Wolverine jig and its made a huge difference to my ham fisted efforts.  Simple to set up and repeatable grinds every time.  If you are on a budget its a good bet.

Colin

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »
I use the original Wolverine and am very happy with it. The Axminster is a lot cheaper than the genuine one and looking at the photos it loos equal in quality.

Gary_Claus

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:12:35 PM »
Could one not make a sharpening jig oneself?

Looks easy enough!

I am sure someone has made one!

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
Lots of people make their own sharpening jigs, and it's a pretty straight forward job if you're used to working with steel.

The Wolverine by oneway is the jig I use myself, and it's an excellent piece of kit. The Storme is obviously a copy of this and other similar systems, but is great value for money and will last a lifetime.

After you've bought steel and spent a day or so making the jig you could probably have saved money by buying one from Axminster. At least you know they've got all the angles and settings correct, and you can use it right out of the box.

There are turners who insist you MUST learn to freehand grind, but my own view is that sharp tools are sharp tools no matter how you achieve the degree of sharpness. Properly sharpened tools will mean safer, cleaner cuts, shapes that you intend rather than have them dictated by dull tools, and will make your time at the lathe all the more enjoyable. So whichever option you decide upon, grind sharp, turn safe, and enjoy it.

And remember....a dull tool is often forced and this can lead to not only torn grain but dig-ins and potentially dangerous mishaps at the lathe.

Nick Prince

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
"And remember....a dull tool is often forced and this can lead to not only torn grain but dig-ins and potentially dangerous mishaps at the lathe."

Which is exactly why I spent the money!