Author Topic: Trinket box  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
Trinket box
« on: November 04, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »
Just finished this laminated and segmented trinket box.  It is made up of 152 pieces of: walnut, beech, purple heart, padauk and red cedar with an ironwood finial.  The thread is cut from corian with an 18tpi thread.  The cedar wood is covered in iridescent paint and then the finish is Yorkshire Grit and Wax 22.  Cs & Cs welcome.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Trinket box
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:13:42 PM »
Hi Tony.
Far too much going on for my liking .
The lid needs to be smaller than the base It looks top heavy and the finial /knob looks plonked on rather that being part of the piece.
If the whole piece had been paint or segmented it would have looked a lot better.
This looks typical of someone trying too many things on one piece olmost an exercise in as many elements as you could get onto one piece.
I think sometimes form gets neglected when turners are trying new texturing or segmented work when the most important element is form there is no substitute for good form.
Sorry to be negative but this is not your best work

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »
Thank you for your comments, George.  Unfortunately the photograph does make it look top heavy, however the two elements that this is made up of - segmented and painted - are in fact 50/50.  I decided to put the lid in the middle to allow it be a more useable box, so I will keep doing ornamental work, while you can keep it simple, regards, Tony

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
99% of my work is ornimental Tony but I am always careful to keep a balance.
As long as you are pleased with it that is all that matters

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
Hi Tony
I don't do a lot of segmenting, but I quite like the diagonal pattern of the lid, but the lower rings all look like they are leaning to the left and I presume they should have been a brick pattern but none are lined up to achieve the brick pattern,and look to be all different thicknesses, the finial could do with being a bit more slender, I don't know why you would go to all the trouble of segmenting the lower piece then cover it up with paint. I think it would have looked much better with the diagonal segmenting on the upper and lower sections, just my opinion though, I do like the little stand that it sits on, what size is the box?
regards
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »
Hello Tony.....I admire your patience in tackling a segmented piece, but I'm afraid to say that I too feel that the overall effect is one of being too diverse in its decoration. Apart from several changes of style/colour in the segmented work, it also has a paint effect, a complex pedestal and a heavy finial, but none of these elements seem to work well together....rather, they all fight for the attention of the viewer. Andy raises an important point about the brick-effect in segmented work. It looks really effective, but only if it is executed with precision to result in equally sized and spaced blocks of alternating colour. Regretfully, yours has this effect in places, but then becomes rather random elsewhere.

Les
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:22:16 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 02:19:59 PM »
Have to agree, too many different types of decorative effects. Anyone on it's on would be fine but as you have done thgem here they clash. Admire the patience skill egtc like others but maybe the next one use the decorativde work as a highlight rather than on the whole piece?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
Tony, as a turner that does segmented work I can see the time and effort that you have put into this piece. I may be wrong but I feel that some of the rings may have slipped sidways during the glue up which resulted in some of the small infill pieces coming out wider than others. It is annoying when that happens and I usually use a dot of hot glue to help these rings remain concentric. I applaud your use of corian to carry the thread although I think it could have been a little more delicate. I find when segmenting that it is best to clearly position a demarcation line between decor layers and unfortunately the layers at the top and just below seem to be fighting each other for attention. I am not a lover of painted wood so it would be unfair of me to comment on that part except to say that the application of the paint looks to have been carried out very well indeed. I also realise that the bottom of the piece had to fit the stand but I am not sure if the shape of the bottom enhances the overall design of the piece. Inside, purely from a point of personal preferance, I would have liked the bottom to be more rounded. Finally I am not sure if a finial that size is needed on a piece that is crying out for a delicate touch.
        I am unsure how experienced at segmented turning you are but I am sure this piece will be a valueable step towards the next piece you make, which I am looking forward to seeing.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »
Tony,

I've seen very little segmented work that 'wow's' me and I'm afraid this one does not either. I'm not sure why as I can defiantly appreciate the amount of effort it takes to create such a piece of work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!